Champions | Teen Ink

Champions

The New Jersey high school football season ended on November 24 with the Championship bowl game. This game was at Metlife Stadium and the top two North Jersey teams battled it out for rings. This game was so important to the players on each team, and even more important since it was the first year these bowl games existed. Usually the seasons ended at the State Sectional Finals, but they added an extra game for the winners of their section.

My school l in Franklin Lakes New Jersey, lost in the State Sectional Finals in 2017 to our rivals, Riverdell. This loss was devastating, especially since it was all the seniors last game and the season was nearly perfect, with only 2 losses. We decided this year we would come back stronger than ever. We practiced everyday throughout the summer, and the first game of the season was a win. So excited, we realized that our team had a lot of potential.

The next game was our home opener. With a full student section and the whole community at attendance, we shut out Bergenfield 49-0 in front of hundreds of people. Week 5 came around and we were still undefeated. This week was different though. This game was against our hated rivals, Riverdell. They came to our house but we knew we couldn't lose to them twice in a row. This regular season game was so crowded and tense it felt like a college football game. In the fourth quarter, we were down two touchdowns and hope was starting to flee from the bleachers. People started to leave, accepting the loss. We did not give up though. We caught up to Riverdell to tie the game up at the end of the fourth quarter. It came down to overtime now. Everyone that left came back with more friends and the stadium was so crowded people were shoving to see what was going on.

In overtime, we defeated Riverdell and the student section rushed onto the field. This team of 2018 had something really special and we all knew it. The next few weeks were all shutouts and remained the number 1 public school in New Jersey. Week 12 came around and it was the State Championship at our house. This game determined who would go to the Bowl Game. Of course, it was naturally against Riverdell. They came with blood in there eyes, but we came as a family and swore to fight until the end. This game was a shutout and we were off to Metlife stadium. If we win this game, it was said we would be the first team in New Jersey history to become 13-0. With a police escort we pulled up to Metlife Stadium, ready. The first quarter was tough. We were down a touchdown, than up a touchdown and everyone was unsure how this was going to end. We came back though and showed the whole state that we were the kings. 42-22 we won the Bowl Game, becoming the first and only 13-0 team in New Jersey.

It's pretty good