Step by Step | Teen Ink

Step by Step

By paulisgreat BRONZE, Lebanon, Ohio
paulisgreat BRONZE, Lebanon, Ohio

Hard but satisfying, demanding but fun, painful but healing, a sport that takes character more than skill, heart more than talent. When you step out onto the course you aren’t just bringing everything you have that day, it takes an accumulation of weeks of hard work, pain and mental preparation for you to be able to not only run your fastest but also to learn to endure the unrelenting pain that is inevitable and necessary to you performing at your highest level. One of the sport’s best qualities is that it trains your mind, not just your body. You learn grit and an unyielding will to succeed. A positive attribute that can be applied to all aspects of life. You are taught to get back up when you are knocked down, tell every week part of your mind and body that wants to give up NO. It is not just a sport but a passion and something that you can go to to channel your anger and deal with stress.

There are other ways to handle your emotions but cross country is among the most trying. That is why I run. That is why I do it. Nothing good or fulfilling comes easy and the sooner you accept that the more successful you will be.

I am 14 and a two-year cross country runner. I love running and wanted to write about it.