I Believe in Sports | Teen Ink

I Believe in Sports

Growing up being shorter than everyone else made me the easiest target to pick on. Threw out Elementery School, Middle School, High School this continued. I’ve always been one of the shortest kids in the school. I didn’t actually end up growing until the Summer of my Junior year, and threw out my junior year. Growing up short left me at a little bit of a disadvantage as a kid, but on top of being short I wasn’t very smart. At least until I found a connection to my schoolwork in something I also had found love in… Sports.

Sports gave me an outlet because with baseball even though I was considerably shorter than the people I’d play with and play against, Finding the love of sports better impacted my school work. When it comes to math I had such a hard time with it because I couldn’t comprehend it or connect it to anything so it wouldnt click in my head. When I found Baseball though I realized how much of math is actually very simuilar to baseball stats. Finding the percentage of something is just like finding the batting average. Transitioning the Yards to Feet came easier because I just considered the Yards of a football field to the feet of the Base-path. Sports helped me improve my grades garastically.

As well as my grades improving as an interverted person, not really a talkative person, it gave me the opportunity to go out and meet new people while we were all playing a sport we had a love for.

The First time I was introduced to baseball was in elemtery school. It was during lunch. I was sitting by myself, I had a piece of paper and a pencil layed out upon the table writing out my favorite players in the MLB, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around as a guy appeard over my shoulder. It was a student who was my age.

“Hey, do you want to come sit with us over here?” He asked.

“No, Its okay” I replied, unsure of what had just happened.

I saw him peek over my shoulder and take a look at what I was wrighting on my paper.

“What are you doing there?” He asked.

“Baseball?” He quickly said again answering his own question.

“Yeah, You know baseball?” I asked.

“Yeah, I play, and my dad and I love the sport.” He replied.

It was at that time when I started to actually play baseball competitively. We later became best friends, rain or shine, baseball or wiffle ball, we were always hanging and doing something baseball related, It if were raining we’d still go out into this big ditch he had by his house and throw the ball around or make Derek Jeter type plays. It if werent for him, and truly introducing me to baseball, I would have never maybe found the love I have for sports, became a better student, found what im passionate about and what I want to do with my future, and had an outlet when I was having a bad day or had something going on, I could just go play baseball.

I love sports