Open Letter to Soccer | Teen Ink

Open Letter to Soccer

Dear Soccer,

I cannot express how much you have changed my life, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worst. You take up most of my time but without you, I would be lost. You guide me through tough times and push me beyond greatness. You make me cry and you make me smile, but most importantly, you make me feel whole. Without you, I am not myself. I am dull and empty. I am a ghost peering in on a life that isn’t truly mine. You have given many friendships that will last for a lifetime. You have given me the best group of friends that I could ever imagine. You gave me my best friends. You make me want to quit but teach me to persevere. You have given me scars and bruises and turf burns. You have given me sore muscles and headaches and numerous injuries. You have also given me knowledge. Knowledge that could never be taught in school or at home. You have taught me how to believe in myself even when I make mistakes. You taught me never to give up and never accept defeat. You have taught me that nothing in the world is fair and that I have to find a way to work through adversity. You have taught me that nothing is given and everything is earned through hard work and dedication. You have never been easy on me. You have always pushed me to my breaking point and thrown obstacles at me. I’ve lost lots of blood, sweat, and tears because of you, but in the end, none of that matters. You have strengthened me throughout every game and training that you have put me through. You have made me stronger, both mentally and physically. I can always count on you to be there when no one else is. You give me a place to release all the stress and commotion that is happening in my life.  You are my lifeline and without I wouldn’t be here today. At the end of the day, nothing matters besides the fact that I get to play. I can’t even imagine what my life would be like today if my parents didn’t put me into recreational soccer at the age of 5. You will always have a special place in my heart and I will always love you!

Always and Forever,

Emily   

Soccer has been a part of me for as long as I can remember and this piece is me reflecting on all the lessons that soccer has taught me.