Road to 25 | Teen Ink

Road to 25

May 24, 2019
By 22ko01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
22ko01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Just an ordinary Sunday on my way to trap as a seventh-grader the only thought on my mind was don’t screw up. Just having that gut feeling that I will get my usual score which is around twelve to fifteen clays out of the twenty-five that I have a chance at. Typically I tend to be a math person, I figured out in my head that I could get three hits at every station and still wind up with a fifteen. An allowance was made in my head that three hits at every station wouldn’t be that bad, I’d be fine with it. Instead of telling myself to try and do my best or get a perfect score of twenty-five out of twenty-five.

When I got there I signed up and got ready to shoot and as I did that I told myself don't screw up and get at least a fifteen. Finally, it was my turn to take my first shot and that bright neon orange disk came flying out of the trap house. The clay was going at a weird angle but, gut instinct kicked in and I shot when I felt was necessary. Unfortunately, it was at the wrong time and I missed, glumly I stood there watching that clay glide out of sight. Now, ever since I joined trap if I miss the first clay I basically give up. So, after the terrible fate of that first shot, I figured I might as well have some fun.

Before I knew it the round was done and I had not a single clue what my score was because I didn’t care and just had fun. That is what all of us need to do in life. We need to forget these things that are small in the end and just live life to the fullest. Sometimes we gotta stop thinking so much about what we’re doing, and just actually do it. And when I finally got my score back, it ended up being a twenty-one out of twenty-five. Somehow being the best I had ever shot, I couldn't believe it and I had not a single clue that's how well I was going to shoot after the fate of that first shot.

I know it is really hard not to count, we count everything these days from the number of days we have left in our life, to our financial accounts. But sometimes we just need to stop counting. Instead, enjoy the moments we get to live. Life is amazing we can do amazing things if we put our minds to it. Instead of stressing we need to enjoy it. The mind is a very complicated thing but each and every person on this Earth has the power to control their own mind to be happy to not think but to just do. To just act with the instincts we are born with.   

That day when I shot a twenty-one out of twenty-five, was a day in my life that I just enjoyed what I was doing. Not thinking about counting how many I hit, or how terrible it started off. More of how I enjoyed what I was doing and how blessed I was for being able to be on this earth enjoying every moment.