Growth on the Court | Teen Ink

Growth on the Court MAG

By taliatamez BRONZE, Austin, Texas
taliatamez BRONZE, Austin, Texas

When you look up the definition of volleyball, it is described as a sport that includes a variety of people helping each other to get the ball over the net and scoring points. Yes, this is true, but before you actually get to play with your team, you have to bond with this group of people who become your second family. 

The court is wide and long but is divided by a seven-foot-high net. Every player knows that feeling before a game – that nervousness and excitement – but once you start, the nerves go away and your focus fuels your passion to get all the hits right over the net. This continues with the team coming together in the center of the court to cheer each other on when something good happens. I play outside, where I spend most of my time hitting and blocking the ball from touching and passing when necessary. When I’m at the net, I see the opponents through the squares. Block the hit, be ready for a tip, go to your “x,” approach the ball, elbow high, snap, and swing through. We win the point. Block the hit, be ready to get a tip, go to your “x,” approach the ball, elbow high, snap, and swing through. We lose the point. Pass the short serve, go to my “x,” approach the ball, elbow high, snap, and swing through.

I’ve been playing volleyball since I was in fifth grade. It has always been that one thing – my comfort zone taking me away from the other things going on in my life. I clearly remember being one of the many individuals trying out for the fifth grade volleyball team. Due to volleyball being the only sport that we could try out for in elementary school, everyone was exuberant about it despite the fact that there were so many people trying out. I made the team through my dedication, although I didn’t quite understand all the aspects of the game yet. I still found a way to enjoy it and bring my excitement for playing.

When seventh-grade tryouts came around, I looked back at my experience and my growth. I wanted to try out so I could grow even more and get better at something that I felt very passionate about. The tryouts were much more challenging than my fifth-grade tryout experience. Yes, I did make the team and when we started playing, I got a new perspective on the sport. By eighth grade, more people tried out for the team, which meant more competition. I ended up making the B team at first. Of course, since my goal was to make A team like my past years, I pushed myself and showed my best work during practices. After my first game playing on the B team, I was moved up to be a starter on the A team for the rest of the season. That year definitely challenged me but also taught me the most. I learned that to really reach my goals I had to work for what I wanted. I had to play my best even if it was difficult at times. I knew the hard work would pay off later. 

I spent the summer after my eighth grade year preparing for high school tryouts. Not only did I bond with more people, but I also found myself progressively getting better at volleyball. I was on a satellite team and got involved in many camps. High school volleyball was a lot different, but the change was exciting. Our team got closer with not only each other but with other upperclassmen. I liked having those upperclassmen to look up to and learn from; I liked pushing through challenges and learning from them; and I liked watching myself and my teammates grow into the players we are now. 

One of my favorite things to think about after a game is how much growth there has been on my team in our years of playing together. We started off not knowing much about the sport, and now we are freshman who dive for the ball, are strategic at scoring points, play aggressively, and eagerly learn as much as we can together. 

Volleyball has taught me so much and has created a new home for me. I appreciate this sport for teaching me about the importance of teamwork, strength, confidence, and bravery – and I use those skills in my everyday life. I have learned to appreciate the bruises I get on my knees and the burns on my legs because it reminds me of the good plays where I dove for the ball or ran across the court to get the ball over the net. I appreciate every set that gives me a chance to hit the ball and be aggressive in order to score a point for my team. I continue to think about how much more I want to grow with this sport. I am truly passionate about volleyball, and I continue to set goals for myself in order to make myself better and better. 

I wrote this piece to go over my growth throughout the years and be proud of the player I have become today.