Our lucky game | Teen Ink

Our lucky game

October 17, 2019
By Anonymous

Our lucky game   It was our last game of the season and we were tied for first in our league,  my teammates and I were willing to play our hardest to win our final game. Other coaches, teams and even referees talked very highly of this team, they were super good but I knew that if we played our best and gave our all we could beat them and win our tournament. We talked about this game since our first practice, we practiced so many drills that lead us up to where we are now and here we were warming up and going over positions that would lead us to beat this team. Before we could even blink the referee blew the whistle and there went our offense passing and shooting up the field. I was on defense with two of my closest friends Jenna and Lily. I remember distinctly our coach told us to keep our eyes on numbers 4 and 13 because they were super fast, kind of aggressive and had lots of fancy footwork they liked to use. We played our hardest and did as coach said we were tied 4-4 by the second quarter. I heard the whistle blow and it was half time, we talked about our new set up for the last half and I could tell this would be a game I would always remember. I was about to do something I've never really done before, the coach put me on offense this time he said it was a good time to switch things up a bit since every single game I was on defense. I had a weird feeling about it but I couldn’t think long because before I could blink the whistle blew and off we went. Running, dribbling and passing the ball up the field toward the goal. We could see coach out of the corner of our eyes filling with excitement and anticipation as my teammate centered the ball and I got ready to shoot. Coach yelled, “5 seconds SHOT!!” I did my leg tensed up, the goalie caught it I turned around and walked to the sidelines when my team started screaming and cheering we made the shot, we made it to the top! 


The author's comments:

This piece is a true story of the time my 2018 summer soccer team won against the winning team. It might have been a miracle or just luck but it was definitely a game to remember. Unfortunately, I don't play with this amazing group of girls anymore but it was one of my favorite seasons I've ever played in my 10 years.