I Will Never Forget | Teen Ink

I Will Never Forget

October 17, 2019
By Anonymous

I will never forget the time that I was playing on my friends 3v3 soccer team. I will never forget this, but mainly I will never forget the time I got a yellow card playing for my friends team. But the reason I got a yellow card wasn’t really my fault. It was more a combination of a flop (faking getting fouled) and the referee making a sketchy call. What happened was I was kinda playing as the defensive player when the other player had the ball and ran towards the sideline next to me. They were about to make it but I cut them off and went for the ball. But they didn’t have time to stop and ran right into my leg and was sent flying, and if you knew me you would know that I’m not a big kid by any stretch of imagination, so such a small hit to the foot wouldn’t send someone that far if anywhere at all. Again, I want to remind you that technically that wasn’t my fault. I was the one that cut them off yes, but I didn’t intentionally go for the player and I even remember some of the parents just walking by with an inquisitive expression on their face like they didn’t quite agree with the call either. 

Another reason I will never forget this was the refs reasoning for making the call he made and on field having a short talk with me of why he made the call and told me to basically watch it. His reasoning for making the call, in his own words were “I carded you because all I saw was you tripping a girl.”. He said carded me for it being a girl but he really made the call because of the girls parents! This made me and my dad furious, like for one we’re all like 10 and I didn’t choose to specifically foul a girl, especially not one with vocal parents. 

Nevertheless, this was a learning moment for me and taught me that sometimes in life things don't go your way. Even though I wish the whole event would have never happened, at least this event not only made me remember the bad things that happened that tournament but also the good things and the fun times I had playing soccer with my friends and even making some new friends.


The author's comments:

It is kind of a rant with a moral at the end to only look at the positives and jsut understand there are always negatives to life.