Not Just A Sport | Teen Ink

Not Just A Sport

By Averyjedry BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
Averyjedry BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois

During life, people go through traumas, accidents, and inconveniences  every single day. When these terrible things happen, people need something or someone to make them feel better- to get them back on track. I am lucky enough to have had the opportunity to play volleyball since I was 11. This may just seem like an ordinary sport to most people, but to me it is way more than that. Volleyball is something that I run to when I need to “escape” from reality; it is my outlet. 

As soon as I pull my knee pads up, lace up my shoes, and step onto the sport court, all else around me disappears. My stress, anxiety, and insecurities aren't a problem to me as I enjoy being competitive with my closest friends. Ordinary people consider volleyball as just a sport, but I see it as something that helps me both physically and mentally. I’m happier, healthier, and overall a better person when volleyball is present in my life. Without volleyball, I would feel incomplete. 

Volleyball has the capability to always keep me calm and content. Recently, my life has had many difficulties. From the passing of my closest family member, to the normal high school stress and anxiety, I can easily say that I have struggles everyday. What gets me through it is knowing that as soon as class is over at 2:45 PM, I can forget about it all and focus on volleyball. Whether it is a game or practice, my heart and head are focused on the sport. Everyone is different; their strengths are different and so are their weaknesses. What makes us all the same is that every single person, whether they have found it or not, has an outlet that makes life a little easier.