The Feeling of Parkour | Teen Ink

The Feeling of Parkour MAG

By Onik_Siddique BRONZE, Bronx, New York
Onik_Siddique BRONZE, Bronx, New York

Whenever I walk past any fence or wall, the first thing that comes to my mind is, “Can I scale that?” As someone who has been practicing
parkour for almost a year now, my mind is constantly looking at different structures as an obstacle course. I can still remember the feeling of going on my first run because it is
the same feeling I experience now.

The winds rushed past me, blowing through my hair and tearing up my eyes. My legs sprinted and jumped over fences and gates while I used my hands as support. My body maneuvered
through the obstacles, twisting and turning at every moment. My eyes darted left and right, alert and aware of my surroundings. My lungs filled with air, releasing it all as I shouted in
joy, adrenaline coursing through my veins. My heart started to beat faster and harder as the big leap came into view. Clenching my jaw, I burst into a full-on sprint, ready to make the jump.

A smile etched onto my face as I remembered the rush of free running.

I stretched my arms and legs as I sized up the building in front of me, ready for the challenge. With a smirk on my face, I leaped into action. To me, there is no such thing as limits. To me, the whole
city is just one big obstacle course.

In this short piece I celebrate parkour, a unique activity I have been practicing for several months. I describe the euphoria, andrenaline rush and sense of freedom that such a discipline generates. It's all a matter of perspective: I now see things differently! The whole city is just one big obstacle course to me. I can't help but wonder if I can scale a fence or a wall whenever I walk by it.