Football Practice | Teen Ink

Football Practice

May 17, 2021
By Anonymous

The longest part of my day starts when I walk onto the football field. As soon as we walk onto it, the turf almost feels like lava; it burns your feet it's so hot. The team plays catch for about 20 minutes, kind of scattered across the field. We all start to pad up, coach blows the whistle, and everybody sighs because that means it’s the start of practice. Everybody on the team lines up to stretch, one of the better parts of practice. My coach yells “Go!” the beginning of each stretch, he is very loud when he does this, you can almost hear his emotion in his voice every time he yells “Go!” After he yells, we all have to clap, if we get caught not clapping we have to run. We have to clap so much that I feel like my hands are going to fall off by the end of practice. After the team is done with stretches we go to our defensive individual coaches. My coach is a fairly nice guy, so there isn’t too much yelling or anything at practice. We start off with footwork. There are 5 bags on the ground, each one yard apart. First we put one foot through each gap, and then two and so on, it gets harder as we go. I messed up at practice one day and my coach started yelling at me in front of 8 other people that play my position, it was so embarrassing, my cheeks were as red as an apple. I focused after that on the bags, they are so close together and there is so much pressure during the drill. During the middle of the drill I can feel my coach observing my every move, his eyes are like those of an eagle. I just have sweat running down my face, I can feel each individual drop just coming off of my face. After we are done with our drill we finally get a water break, our break is the best part of the whole practice because we get to take a break, wipe our sweat, and just sit. When I drink the water, I just feel the coldness going in my mouth. The coach blows the whistle, and all of a sudden our water break is over, we have to do skelly, which is a 7 on 7 scrimmage. As a linebacker I make most of the tackles, so when the big running back comes at me it makes me anxious for the first few times, he comes 7 so fast, he’s like a lightning bolt. After we do our 7 on 7 scrimmage, the whistle blows for the last time. When the last whistle blows everybody has a sigh of relief that practice is finally over, Then we huddle and coach talks to us, you can hear in his voice how much he cares about our team, then it starts all over again the next day.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece to explain how my junior year football season went.