Gameday | Teen Ink

Gameday

By jaydenrauser BRONZE, North Lake, Wisconsin
jaydenrauser BRONZE, North Lake, Wisconsin

Tonight is gameday…  it’s also Hawksfest which means there will be thousands of people here to watch the football game and enjoy all the events at hawks fest. There will be games that the kids can play before the game and also different varieties of food for the fans. This is the first year I won’t be able to go to it because I am now starting on varsity as a Junior. This game will be a difficult game and will need to win if we want to make it into the playoffs. We just came off of a big win at Waukesha West. The score was 49-0 and it was the first game. I got to start and got pulled before halftime. 

I didn’t start the first 3 weeks of the season because a senior was in front of me. But with hard work and determination, I earned the starting spot. I usually play outside linebacker but I changed to middle linebacker this year. Middle linebacker has many responsibilities from calling the play, calling the strong side, making sure my team is lined up, and communicating with the defensive line. I am nervous because I only have 2 quarters of experience with playing on varsity. I was also sick for 2 days this week which is hard to catch up with the whole game plan and scouting report. But I was able to get right back on track when I came back to practice and will start tonight for this game.

I finished my last period of school and it’s time to go home and relax before I have to go to pre-game meetings. I do my game-day routine, roll out my muscles and get my mind ready for tonight. I then go back to school where we have our pre-game meal. Then we put the finishing touches we needed to before the game in meetings. I then put in my headphones and put on my playlist I play before every game and I go to the trainer to get taped up and make sure I am all ready to go before the game. Then I go in the locker room and get all suited up to put on a show for the fans. 

We are now walking out down to the field so we can get to warm up. We have drummers that walk us down to the field like we are in the Civil War about to go to battle. Chills go through my body and the nervousness starts to flow throughout my body. Then we get on the field, warm up, and get through the drills for the game.

It’s game time. I couldn’t be more excited, there are so many people and I always find my family because they are the reason I am here and I play for them. I get ready for my time to go out and play the game I have loved since I was 6. I cherish the moment of playing every time because I never know when it could be my last time. 

The first play I get from my coach on the sidelines, I say, “over black” and repeat it to the whole defense. Then I call the strength of the field, “strong left” and make sure my whole team is lined up. Then my instincts kick in and I just play how I have learned and how I practice. We get through the game and won 16-8. After the game, the first people I go to is my family right away, and thank them for always being there and supporting me.