Football | Teen Ink

Football

Football is an experience not many get to feel. Stepping onto the field, friends, and family in the stands. Before game time isn’t a fun feeling though. Constant turning in your stomach through school and the locker room. As a junior starting on a senior heavy team is a lot of pressure. I know what I have to do and I know how to do it, but it's the “what ifs” that linger inside me. What if I miss a tackle? What if I hurt my ankle again? What if I'm not good enough? 

Although it is stressful, it’s one of the most enjoyable experiences ever. From the off season grind, to the 2-a-day practices. Pushing yourself past limits that once were impossible to reach with no one other than your friends. It truly is something to be proud of. Working as hard as you do and then proving it to the whole town

Game time. We all line up in 2 single file lines, side by side, locked in. Everything that was on my mind prior to the game is gone. It’s just me, the field and the team. We start walking in unison like the military. After what feels like an eternity, we reach the turf. Everyone slowly speeds up, eager to get to the A in the middle of the field to do our pre game speech. After we break, warm ups. The fifteen minute warm ups are long and boring. I just try to stay warm for the time being. Afterwards, the pledge of allegiance is played and then game time. We win the coin flip. 

“Differ,” screams head coach, Coach Harris.

It’s time. Game time. I walk onto the field. Do your job. Do your job. I repeat in my head. I line up and across from me is a 300 pound senior. Oh boy, I thought. This is gonna be a long one. I get the call from the sideline; I’m twisting with Braden, my linebacker. I look back, lock eyes with Braden, and smirk. We're the only two that knew the chaos we’re about to create.

“Ready….Set….” the quarterback screams. 

The running back motions out of the backfield. It’s a pass, my bread and butter. 

“Go!”

I Dont a\Actually Play.