Kansas Jayhawks | Teen Ink

Kansas Jayhawks

By Erik Mattson BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
Erik Mattson BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

The Kansas Jayhawks basketball team is a respected franchise across the nation. They have always dominated no matter who is on the team. This year is no exception. They are ranked 21 and climbing. They are undefeated in their conference and their over all record is 18-4 as of February, 4th. The team makes up mostly of freshmen and sophomores’ so being ranked this high is very impressive. There are only two seniors and three juniors. If the juniors stay for next year then they will be unstoppable. Kansas also has two of the top 100 ranked high school players in the nation. So their future is looking really good also.

Sherron Collins is one of the few juniors on the team. He is currently the leading scorer, leading assists per game, and the most minutes a game. He recently broke the Kansas record for most consecutive free throws made. He helped lead the team to their 10th Conference Championship and their 2nd National Championship victory. He dominates the Big 12 with his explosive drives and his uncanny ability to shoot the three pointers. He is the key to Kansas’ offence this year.

Cole Aldrich is Kansas’s big man and defensive leader. He proved he was ready to start when he helped KU defeat North Carolina in the Final Four last year. He averages about 29 minutes a game which is second most on the team. He averages 15 points a game which is great for a sophomore. But what really makes him stand out is his average of 3 blocks a game. This stat gives him the title of the leading shot blocker in the Big 12. Cole Aldrich will be one of the most commanding centers in upcoming years.

Brady Morningstar is another rising star in the Big 12. He is on his way to being one of the best three point shooters in the nation. He just needs a little bit more experience. He is improving every game and will be a premier player in a couple years.
When you think of KU’s big men two players come to mind, the twins. Marcus and Markieff Morris is the key to KU’s success. They control the boards and they are contributing 20 points a game and 10 rebounds a game. The best thing is they are freshmen’s. And their parents are making them stay in college so when they are seniors they will dictate the Big 12 with their size and their ability to score.

Another key player on KU’s bench is Tyshawn Taylor. He is a high flyer who electrifies the crowd with his unbelievable dunks and smooth plays going down the court. He is a freshman this year and is already showing promise for a great career in basketball. He is averaging 10 points a game which is the third highest on the team. He helped lead his high school team to a 32-0 record last year. He is a great point guard and will be ready to take over Sherron Collins job when he leaves.

The Kansas Jayhawks are a team that is known for their great success and their consistency. They’ve been tyrannizing the Big 12 with their 3 point shooting and big men for years. They have always been the most balanced team too, with a deep bench and evenhanded scoring. There has been no one person scoring all the points for KU like some other teams. This shows that Kansas has unselfish players and great coaches.