Playing the Sport I had always wanted to. | Teen Ink

Playing the Sport I had always wanted to.

By Sidney Olejniczak BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
Sidney Olejniczak BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan

As I tied my cleats for the first time, I was so excited I just about jump out of my shoes. I ran out on the field and waited for Karlee to play catch with me. As I waited my coach said, “Hi what is your name?”

I said, “Sidney”. When he could tell how excited I was to be starting the sport I had been watching since I was born he said,
“Well Sidney we are going to have a lot of fun this year.”

Karlee stepped out of her car and put on her shoes, I had known Karlee from my preschool. I could tell that she was also very excited. As all of the other girls started to arrive the coaches daughter, Hannah had gave me a nickname that she has called me every since, Squidney. When everyone arrived we finally all ran out on to the softball field, a dust cloud followed behind us as we ran around the bases to just stay warm. When we were done with practice I had felt like I had conquered the world. I got into the car and my dad told me, “You look pretty good Sid.”

I just quickly replied with a quick, “I know dad!” I was so excited I could barely sit in my seat.

After practicing for more then two weeks we finally started games. When it was time for our first game I tried to get ready as fast as I could. I was so excited for the game to begin. When we started I ran out on the field with everyone. We got ready and the umpire said, “play ball”. After the game I was so excited that I finally got to play this sport. It was like an instinct for me to play. I felt like one of the
Central Michigan University softball players that I had been watching my whole life.

Before the next game we had another practice, I was starting to get bored with practices. I mean I was just so used to the speed of the game. Instead of just boring ole practice. But I did have to realize that it would just make me better in the end.

Our coach yelled, “Girls time to hit!” When I heard him say that I just about jumped out of my socks and shoes. I ran into the fenced in bench area where I would see all of our bags and water bottles. I quickly grabbed my bat and gloves; I mean I just had to be the first one to hit. When I ran to the field, Hannah was first to bat; of course. So I waited “on deck” as we called it. Or if you don’t know what that term is I waited to go next. As she swung at the neon colored ball I saw her hit it so far I wished I could do that. I hit next, when I swung I could see the ball coming at me, I swung with my orange bat right at it. Oh my gosh! I did it. I had hit the ball.

Now it was time for another game, I was determined to hit the ball this time. When the game started we were all excited; like usual. When the game was done we were all so happy we had played another game. This time there was no practice before the next game. So we pulled up to the place where the field was at.

“Dad is this a school?” I had never really noticed it before, I had always just thought of it as a building.

My dad replied, “Yes you will go here someday.”

I responded, “yeah and I will be the best softball player out there!”

My dad laughed, and told me “well if that’s your goal, then go for it.” It was then that I realized, this was my sport, and I would play it until I couldn’t play it anymore.

When my game was over I jumped in the car with my mom and dad, they both told me, “great job Sidney!”

And I replied with a, “yeah, yeah thanks.” I was thinking about how I was so ready to just practice softball until I was the best one out on that field. So now to this day, I still play softball. I have for seven years, and many more years to come

This is about the first time i played softball. It means a lot to me.