Sports. | Teen Ink

Sports.

By Griz82905 BRONZE, Springfeild, Ohio
Griz82905 BRONZE, Springfeild, Ohio

Playing sports hasn’t been the nicest thing I’ve done to myself. I used to do all the sports I could do. I loved all the sports equally. I wrestled, played baseball, and play football. I did this because all three sports were at different times in the year and kept me doing things all year long. Football is in the fall, wrestling in the winter, and baseball in the spring.

I’ll start with why I quit my first sport, wrestling. I decided to quit wrestling because it wasn’t fun anymore. I started wrestling in the 6th grade. I liked wrestling in the beginning. I wasn’t ever good at wrestling but l still liked going to practices and putting my body on the line for a sport( maybe that’s why I quit wrestling). I got hurt a lot in wrestling. I didn’t get really injured till the 8th grade, my last year wrestling. I was in the middle of a match and the kid I was wrestling kicked my knee cap out of place. Luckily it wasn’t anything serious but it still bothers me to this day. I could have definitely been a better wrestler my last year if I cared, but I hated it. So I quit.

Next was baseball. I loved baseball. It was my favorite sport for my whole life. Baseball was the sport I had been playing the longest. I was a pretty good first baseman. I was an alright pitcher and batter. I only pitched one game. I only hit one home run too. I did not quit voluntarily. I got cut off from the team for no reason. I was better than the players that made the team and got cut because “ there were too many people''. The coach told me “ don’t take this as a sign to not like baseball anymore.” It completely flipped my love for baseball upside down. I’m glad that I got cut from baseball because It led me to get stronger for football (they also do weird things on the baseball team).

I will never quit football. Football took my love for being my favorite sport. I know all the rules for football and I could probably name 200 football players. I started playing flag football in the 3rd grade maybe. I liked flag football a lot and played it with my friends. I started playing contact football in the 6th grade. I loved playing my 6th grade year. We were easily the best team in the region. We only lost one game and won the championship. 7th and 8th grade football was definitely the most fun (as of right now I'm only a sophomore) playing football. I played a lot and only got a few bumps in the road. I fractured my wrist and broke my pinky playing. Luckily you can play with a cast on so I did not miss any of the season. My freshman year, my first year of highschool football, I fractured my thumb and wrist again. I did not miss any of that season so lucky me. Now, my Sophomore year I sustained my worst injury yet. It was the first hitting drill of the season. I was up, I was tackling when I felt a pop. My shoulder is dislocated. I thought “Ok so what shoulder came out it used to happen all the time so get up and don’t embarrass yourself”. But it hurt. It hurt so bad I screamed. The trainer came over and popped it back into place. He told me I’d be out for two weeks. I thought it wasn’t that bad, the worst things were me missing the scrimmage and I’d lose my Ironman title. Two weeks later I’m told to go to the doctors. I’m told to get an X-ray. Another week. I got back and I was told to get an MRI. Okay, another 2 weeks. I missed the first game without knowing what was wrong. I was told that I had a torn labrum. I missed the whole season and was surgery prone. I had surgery the week of our first playoff game. They found that I also tore my rotator cuff as well. I was stuck in a sling for 6 weeks and have had physical therapy twice a week since then. I can’t wait for next season where I hope I come back in full strength.

I wrote this piece to show my perspective on my expirences playing sports.