Why Is Bowling a Sport? | Teen Ink

Why Is Bowling a Sport?

By MCrossman BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
MCrossman BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio

Why is bowling such a debated sport? This has been a topic for many years. People compare this to football or baseball, it’s not that type of physical activity. It’s about finesse and mental toughness.

Have you ever gone bowling with your family and/or friends? Going up to the desk and getting those old and smelly bowling shoes, trying to find a ball that fits your fingers and isn’t covered in pizza grease. Well, bowling for sport is a lot different than with friends. Bowling for sport is attempting to bowl the highest pin count you can. Yes, yes that’s exactly what you do when you’re with your friends, but no. When you bowl for sport you are constantly trying to improve your form accuracy and decision making skills.

Okay let's start with a few basic things to start learning how to bowl. Number one is getting a ball drilled for your hand. Now there are two different options when getting a ball drilled. Conventional and Fingertip lengths. In a fingertip grip, the span of the hand is fitted to the last joint of the index and middle finger, while the conventional grip is fitted to the middle joint. Fingertip drilling also adds grips to the finger holes in the ball. This is because you are expanding your hand as much as possible, meaning you wouldn't be able to put your whole finger into the ball. The cornerstone of bowling is maximizing the engagement of the ball with the lane by maximizing friction to create a hook. Creating hook is done by the tips of your fingers, this is why you see finger tip inserts in most professional bowlers’ bowling balls

Maybe after you’ve finally gotten a ball that fits you and you are comfortable with, let's get a pair of shoes that fit nice and snug. Shoes you get at the bowling alley have been worn by thousands of people. They’re all stretched out and just straight up uncomfortable. Personally, I own a pair of Team Brunswick shoes produced by Brunswick Bowling Products. These are a higher market priced shoe. They include 5 different slide soles and 4 different heels. Beginner bowlers usually start out with a cheaper pair of shoes with a slide sole on both feet. These shoes are produced like this to keep the price cheap and not have to account for which hand you throw the ball with. More expensive shoes only have a slide sole on one shoe. This is because more experienced bowlers usually slide more. When only having a slide sole on your left foot (meaning you throw with your right hand) you are able to change those soles out depending on how the approach is sliding. When you have this more expensive pair of shoes the non-slide foot is now all rubber on the bottom, this helps with traction while making your approach instead of having another slide that can make you slip. Now that you have all the proper equipment you can start learning and creating  muscle memory. Bowling is all about shot repetition. Being able to repeat the same shot over and over again. Don’t get discouraged when you’re trying to learn, you’ll get it. It took me 5 years to get to where I’m at currently and I’m still working and improving on things everyday. From Redmond Reporter, “Most purists consider a sport a competitive activity that involves physical exertion and skill of some sort. While the “physical exertion and skill” obviously covers varying levels, keep in mind that over the course of a professional bowling tournament, participants will roll as many as 40 games over a three-day period. These athletes must throw a 15 or 16 pound ball down a 60-foot alley in an attempt to hit a target less than two inches wide, known as the “pocket”. In order to have the stamina to bowl that many games and be able to repeat shots, one must be in good physical shape. Many, if not most, pros do weight training or at least stick to an exercise routine to build arm and wrist strength to help them throw those big, sweeping hook balls that demolish the pins.”  

Oil is another big part of bowling, it is constantly changing on every ball you throw. This oil is clear and almost invisible to the naked eye. Bowling balls will hook based on how much volume of oil is on the lane, how long the oil pattern is and where the dry and wet spots are. You can never predict what’s going to happen 100% of the time. Sometimes you can ace a shot and still end up leaving a pin. Bowling can sometimes have you questioning the laws of physics. This can all seem like a lot but go out and give it a try. Bowling is inexpensive in most places. I love this sports and enjoy playing it and I hope this gives you some insight to what goes on.

Article #2 Personal Experiences in High School Bowling

This article will be expressing my personal thoughts and experiences while bowling in High School competition. These stories will highlight the peaks and valleys of my sophomore (2022) season. First I’ll start out with some background information on High School Bowling.

High School bowling is a super fun sport to play. Getting to compete with other schools and traveling to other bowling alleys.  This is a great way to learn how to adjust with oil breakdown and different lane conditions, preparing you for sport shot patterns. The community and friends you build while bowling for the high school is amazing. Learning how to work as a team in the team games is also a big learning curve. You now only have one frame to produce your best score. There are 5 bowlers  on a team, in our conference we bowl 2 normal games then 4 baker games (team games). 

Team games are the biggest parts we struggle with. This is because we all have to throw our best shots and sometimes that doesn't always happen. You have your lineup 1&6, 2&7, 3&8, 4&9 and 5&10. Each bowler usually throws one set of those frames. The bowlers who throw the 4th and 5th frames are usually the best bowlers on the team. The 4th bowler is able to produce a strike or spare to set up the 5th bowler. The 5th bowler is gonna be the best bowler on the team. They are able to close out every frame most of the time. This is because they will bowl the 10th frame. In bowling the 10th frame can be considered a double frame, if you spare you still have another shot to throw. If you strike you have a chance to throw 2 more strikes. This is why the 5 &10 bowler is referred to as the anchor, they are the foundation of the team knowing that they can produce and get pin count for the team. The 3rd and 8th frame bowler is the 3rd best on the team, able to strike and spare 80 % of the time, knowing they will be able to get pins. Now, the 1st and 2nd bowlers are the weaker bowlers, They are able to make spares 85% of the time and strike also but are prone to leaving opens.  An open is a frame that does not consist of a spare or strike. Not knocking down all ten pins within your 2 balls

Now after getting to know the basics of bowling we’ll start with our first match of the year against Graham. Graham was the big dog coming into the 2021-2022 season. Last year they were CBC Mad River Division Champs. Last year we weren’t the greatest but we gave them a run for their money, only losing by 33 pins we knew we could do it. This was a very tough match, after the first game both teams were tied at 1029. I was the low man in that game, only shooting 186 while everyone else shot 200+. Second game I was able to come back and shoot 204 helping out my series. We were only able to put up 1047 to their 1086. Heading into bakers we’re down 39 pins. In the 4 total bakers Graham posted a 750. We were only able to shoot 751, meaning we didn’t come back and win the match. It was a tough loss of  38 pins but this set a very good tone for the new season. Shooting 2827 total pins, that was our new high score. Our highest set last year was 2802 against Graham but we never came close to reaching that again. This was the first match of the year, let's fast-forward to our match against Bellefountaine.                                                                                                                                       

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2022 Clark-Shawnee Braves Vs. Bellefontaine Chieftains 

After the first set of games we were able to pull out a slight lead of 33 pins against the chiefs. I personally had only bowled a 200 not being able to figure out why the lanes were reacting as they were. Leaving a few single pins spares and not very many strikes I had to rethink my approach if we wanted to win against the #1 team. The ball was coming up a touch light on the 1,3 pocket. So I took a step back on the approach and put more speed onto the ball. It was working 2,3,4 strikes in a row. I wasn’t paying very much attention to my score because one of the younger bowlers (JP) we had was subbed in and was also doing the same thing. By the 7th frame we were both tied with 7 strikes in a row. I wasn't really thinking about the perfect game I also had going because I was more focused on JP and his perfect game. I let Jp throw his 8th frame shot before me. He misses and leaves 3 pins. Now it was my show, this is when I realized I had a perfect game going on. I’ve had a perfect game before so the pressure wasn’t anything I hadn’t experienced before but, I had to make it to the 10th. The 8th frame shot was perfect, flush strike.. 9th frame was a little light but I was able to kick out the 7 pin for the strike. Now it was for real. 10th frame for all the marbles. First shot in the 10th was perfect all 10 back, now the pressure was starting to really kick in. The 11th shot was a pocket strike, not perfect but a good shot… Now we were at the final shot, the nerves I was feeling were overwhelming. This was the most pressure I've ever felt while bowling. This was nothing ever imaginable compared to my first 300. I had the opposing team and their fans watching me including both Shawnee teams and parents. This was it, for real. I took a deep breath and picked up my ball. Everyone near me had stopped bowling. Everyone had their eyes on me. I start my approach, my body feels so slow from the adrenaline rushing throughout. I let go of the ball, it's a great shot. The ball drives into the pins and boom, 1 pin left standing. The good ole 10 pin… 299, I was devastated, but I sucked it up and went and gave everyone their high fives and fist bumps. We had shot 1148 pins for that second set. We only average about 950 pins for all 5 of us. We had taken a massive lead against the Chiefs, 261 pins. That’s pretty much impossible to get back in bakers. We knew we had basically won the match at this point. All we had to do was keep our bakers close. Bellefontaine chipped away with 10-15 pins each baker but we still came out victorious. Final- Shawnee 2808, Bellefontaine 2653. Not realizing it, with that score I moved into the #1 spot in the conference. I was now the top bowler in the whole Central Buckeye Conference (CBC). I was so excited and overwhelmed when I got home and checked the stat list. All the hard work I had done finally was paying off. At this time the season only has 2 matches left, Away at Jonathan Alder High School and at home against the Northwestern Warriors. These are both teams that are fairly good, and I have to keep my average up for 4 more games to become the bowler of the year. I want this award so bad, I know I can do it but I absolutely have to keep my mind in the game and not what’s going on around me. Tomorrow is our away match.. I’m still holding the #1 seed by 9 pins in average. I absolutely have to keep my games up because the guy behind me is bowling very well and he’s moved up very fast. This match tomorrow really decides who is going to win bowler of the year.

Jan 28, 2022 Away Match at Jonathan Alder

Bowler of the year was really in my head at this point, only having one more match after tonight to raise my average was really in my head..First game I was smashing the pocket but kept leaving single pins. I think I left about 6 ten pins that game. Currently averaging 218 I needed it. Only finishing that game with a 162 I was in trouble. I made a slight adjustment with my ball speed to try and get that ten pin to kick. It was working.. Not being able to consistently strike had me in trouble. I finished the second game with a 222. After these two games the team was down 16 pins going into bakers. We owned bakers, striking and making every spare. Alder was putting up a fight but we won all 4 games. Ending up beating them by 20 pins. I only averaged 192 for this match, almost 30 pins less of what I wanted to ideally bowl. It was okay because Bellefontaine’s season was over. Beau wasn’t able to improve or drop so I knew exactly what I needed to do.

Northwestern Vs. Shawnee

This was the most important match of the year for me. Needing to throw 2 good games to raise my average so I can comfortably bowl during the CBC tournament. Well that didn’t go as planned. Rolling a 193 and 214 wasn’t the best. My average drops to 211. Beau Salyer from Bellefontaine is still in  2nd place with a 207. Once the match went into bakers we were only up 33 pins. After the first baker we suddenly lost all those pins, they beat our score by 38. Next game was much better with a 221. Northwestern held their ground throwing a 211, but we gained 5 pins back in the lead. At this point we’re halfway through bakers. Having 2 more to go we had to stay strong. Well again we got thrown back on the lane everyone was struggling. Throwing a whopping 163 to their 193 were down again. Down 25 pins we had to preval in this final match. This was the tightest match we’ve bowled this year. Both teams start with a 9-. Us needing to beat their score by 25 we had to start closing frames and start striking. Both teams strike, and another and another and another by the time we knew both teams were matched with 5 strikes in a row. Northwestern throws their next shot and leaves a big split. We strike again, we’re up. It’s the 9th frame and we’re up. Our 4th bower is up. He throws and the ball sails wide 2,8,10 split. This is a nearly impossible split to make if you’re not left handed. Northwestern strikes on their 9th frame ball meaning if they were to strike out they win. For us to have any chance I had to get all three strikes in the 10th frame. I throw my first shot and explode the pin deck. Strike. Northwestern throws his first ball and leaves a solid 9 pin. This occurs when the ball hits the pocket with too much angle. He converts and gets nine on his fill ball. They shoot 193. We currently have 205. We have to beat them by 25 or more. I absolutely had to get the second strike or we would lose. I feel the nerves now, knowing I have to strike or it’s all over. I walk back to the ball-return and pick up my ball. I take a deep breath and let out a long exhale. I’m ready, I set my feet and start my shot. The ball hit the lane and I knew I aced it. The ball drives through the pocket and smashes all ten pins. Now all I have to do is keep the ball on the lane and my foot behind the foul line. I go through my same pre-shot routine and ace another shot, all ten back. The entire energy of the building changed, everyone was up jumping around and giving each other high fives. We were ecstatic, this was the closest match I had ever bowled and I was proud that I was able to close it out and give us another win to end the regular season.

The CBC tournament was postponed due to the 10+ inches of snow we got so now I have to sit and wait. It was rescheduled for the following Tuesday during school. After waiting patiently for three days until the new tournament date I was ready to come out and win my title. Beau was about 150 pins behind me coming into this tournament, meaning he would have to beat my series by 150+ pins to win the title. I was very comfortable coming into this tournament because it was at a house where I’ve bowled a decent amount at. Starting off the first game with a 202 I really needed to kick it into gear. I made a slight adjustment and started carrying my strikes, 258. I just needed a solid last game to finish the year out. I stick with the same game plan but just move over a tad left. Final game was 225. I was 95% sure I locked up the conference as the #1 bowler. Rolling a 685 series which is about a 228 average I was confident. After the three games I went and looked at Beau’s score. He had only shot a 667. I won it, it really didn’t hit me later until I got home. After we finished the 5 baker games we bowl they announced the all conference team. When my name was called the bowling alley erupted in cheering. I went and received my medal and plaque. After taking pictures I went over to Beau and congratulated him, thanking him for the amazing competition he had brought to me this year. I had finally won the title, only being a sophomore I have two more to win.