How Important Water Is to the Human Body | Teen Ink

How Important Water Is to the Human Body

December 13, 2022
By Anonymous

 Water is one of the most important and essential things in this world. We as a human race cannot survive without water, and it is one of the most crucial things to not only our lifestyle but our environment as well. Without water, life as we know it would not exist. Without water we would have no sea or ocean and all the marine life that comes with it. CDC states “Getting enough water every day is important for your health. Drinking water can prevent dehydration, a condition that can cause unclear thinking, result in mood change, cause your body to overheat, and lead to constipation and kidney stones.” () Water helps us stay hydrated during the day, which comes in more productivity the day, your body is healthier and less prone to diseases, cancer, diabetes, and other medical sicknesses, and recovery from sports and fitness from the day before, is much faster.

            Now, how exactly important is water to the human body? It is hard to say exactly how essential water is, but to put it in perspective, humanity cannot survive up to three days without water. On the other hand, our bodies can survive up to three weeks without food. This shows how important water is to the human body. Another example of how critical water is is when scientists try to know if there are other living organisms in other plants, they first look for water. Scientists have concluded that no living organism can survive without water for a certain period. Scientists have also concluded that there was once a microorganism (bacteria, viruses, or fungi) on mars, because over a billion years ago, there was water on mars. Some organisms can live up to ten years without the usage of water, but the organism still needs water, eventually, to survive. Another reason that water is so important and essential to our life is that it helps boost our energy and therefore, our productivity. Caroline Roberts from CNET states, “Drinking more water gives you more energy to do anything from strenuous physical feats to staying awake at your desk after lunch.” (Roberts) Productivity is so valuable during the day, and we need it helps us stay on task and, therefore, not feel the urge to procrastinate. By being productive we are not only less stressed, but we also feel more accomplished and have a sense of dignity that gives us better self-value. All of this can happen just by drinking more water. Our life will not only be healthier, but we also are more physically, spiritually, and mentally stable. By staying hydrated you stay more energized and healthier. If we are dehydrated our oxygen levels decrease and our brain works harder to keep the flow of oxygen throughout our body, making us tired and less alert. But by drinking water, our bodies can stay hydrated and more energized, because our body does not have to work as hard to function properly. Therefore, it is essential to make sure that we are drinking regularly because we go through a lot during an average day, and with that comes a lot of stress. Also, if we are not less alert by being dehydrated, driving can become a greater liability and we can become a dangerous driver, but by staying hydrated we become more alert and we are safer to those around us. But by drinking water we can lower our stress levels because if we are dehydrated, our cortisol – the stress hormone – increases and it makes it harder to deal with everyday issues. All of this can happen just by drinking less water.

            Now how much exactly should we be drinking a day to be productive and energized during the day? If we drink too much water during the day, we can be over-hydrated and overwhelmed. By drinking so much water our bodies will shut down. The biggest effect of drinking too much water is an exceptionally painful headache. Excess water in the body and salt levels drop and the cells begin to swell, the swelling increases the size of the cells and those in the brain start to push against the skull causing a very painful migraine. But as I have said before not drinking enough water can also lead to headaches, loss of energy, and indomitable pains. So, what is the balance? Healthline also says that you should be drinking eight 8-ounces of water to have a healthy lifestyle and body. But you should be drinking water throughout the entire day even if you are not thirsty. There are also some factors that lead to how much you should be drinking per day. For example, gender can influence how much you should be drinking per day. According to Healthline women should be drinking 11.5 cups per day and for men, it should be 15.5 cups per day. Another factor that can lead to the amount of water consumption per day is your environment. The higher altitude affects your body, your blood oxygen decreases, and the heart must work harder to help it keep its oxygen level. You will need more water if you live in extremely hot, humid, or dry conditions. If you also live in the mountains at exceedingly high altitudes.

Water can also help significantly with our health and our overall well-being. By being more hydrated, our immune system is stronger, therefore, our bodies are less prone to diseases, cancer, diabetes, and other medical sicknesses. We can be so much healthier just by staying hydrated. 1,670 people die from cancer every day. 1n 2019, the total number of deaths worldwide from diabetes was 280,049. Just imagine how far those numbers would go down if we were just drinking more water every day. But water can also be the downside of health. If you drink unclean water, it can leave your body exposed to diseases like cholera, diarrhea, dysentery, hepatitis A, typhoid, and polio which can be detrimental to your health and could lead to death. But if we drink clean water regularly it can have many health benefits. The University of California posted a paper on the health benefits of drinking water, and it says, “Staying well hydrated is also very important for detoxification pathways, increasing lymphatic draining and making sure we are clearing out any foreign invaders and other waste materials.” (Admin) Staying hydrated is so important. Water can help and improve so many functions of the body, and as we drink more during the day, we are healthier and overall better human beings.

            One of the biggest factors that affect the level of water in our body is athletics. Athletes can lose a lot of water during practices and competitions. They can lose a lot of water by the process of sweating and breathing hard, this happens whether in cold or scorching hot conditions. Athletes, specifically soccer players, lost about thirty-three ounces during a soccer match under hot conditions. Not only do we have to recover the thirty-three ounces lost from the game, but we also need to drink more because our bodies constantly need hydration. It is quite easy to get dehydrated being an athlete because your body is on the move constantly and the heart must work harder to pump blood to different areas of the body. Being dehydrated negatively affects your playing, because it decreases your skin blood flow and therefore your sweating, which increases your risk of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. But, by staying hydrated all day before your game or competition and making sure that you are drinking whenever possible, you can be hydrated and have a healthy body. Children’s Health magazine states “Staying hydrated increases energy, improves movement, recovery and agility, thermoregulation, and aids in mental clarity and activity – all of which can improve physical performance and reduce the risk of injuries.” (Health) Depending on the weather you should be consuming about seventy ounces after a session or game to ensure that you can make a fast recovery and be ready to play the next day.

            But can other substances help with recovery besides water? Sports drinks like Vitamin Water, Gatorade, and Powerade are also good for the body and help with recovery. Sports drinks not only help you stay hydrated, but they can also restore electrolytes which are especially helpful during hot days because they help you stay refreshed and reduce muscle fatigue. But sports drinks are not the healthiest thing ever. Although they can keep you hydrated during the day and restore electrolytes, they have a lot of sugar and other additives that are not healthy for you. If you drink sports drinks regularly your sugar levels increase, and you could have the risk of diabetes and other health problems. There should be a balance between water and sports drinks. Water should be your most prominent choice and you should be drinking water more than sports drinks, but sports drinks help after an intense workout and help restore electrolytes which help keep the balance inside and outside the cells inside our body.

            Water can improve so many things. It can improve productivity during the day, it improves health, and you are less prone to diseases, cancer, diabetes, and other medical sicknesses, and recovery from the day before is faster. Water can improve productivity because water helps boost our energy during the day, therefore our productivity. Water can also improve our immune system, and this can help us fight diseases and other imperfections that can make us sick and unhealthy. One of the most important things that water can help athletes with is not only hydration, and therefore staying healthy, but it also can help with recovery and help with soreness which is essential for an athlete’s performance. So, as you can see, water is so important and essential to all aspects of life and if we drink more, we will be healthy and more hydrated during the day.