The Super Meteors: An AAU Club Led By A 14 Year-Old | Teen Ink

The Super Meteors: An AAU Club Led By A 14 Year-Old

The Super Meteors are an up-and-coming AAU Basketball team that just wrapped up their second season in Newton, Massachusetts. The Meteors have a lot of heart, and have a great story: The team’s founder, Xiang “Leo” Liu, is only 14 years old, and is the youngest AAU Basketball Team owner in the nation. The mission of the meteors is to spread basketball to anyone who's willing to give it a chance, and nurture strong values while they do it.

The Super Meteors are based out of Newton, Massachusetts, and strive to bring the ideals of AAU basketball to the Newton community. The Meteors were founded in February 2022, and have already wrapped up their second season. The goal of the Meteors is to ensure that if there is an adolescent out there that wants to play AAU Basketball, they can, and the team even offers financial aid to ensure that anyone who wants to be a part of the Meteors is given a chance.

The Super Meteors are made up of a skilled staff of coaches who work with players individually to ensure that they perform at peak performance, and strive to instill values that transcend basketball, such as teamwork and responsibility. An athlete can be good at playing their sport, but without understanding that a team has to work together to win, they'll never find true success. The coaching philosophy of the Meteors is that while it's great to be a good athlete, it is just as important to be a good person. 

The founder of the Super Meteors, Leo Liu, has been watching basketball since he was a child growing up in Hong Kong, and the joy he got from watching games with his parents resonated with him. The really remarkable thing about Leo though is that he's decided to put himself in the world of Team Ownership at only 14 years old. It was a long and hard process for Leo to be able to get the team operating, but now that everything is together, they don't show any signs of stopping.

For Leo, helping the youth improve their basketball skills is one of the reasons he believes he’s on this earth. Leo’s core belief is that no matter what race you are, what gender you are, or how smart you are, you still deserve to have a chance. Leo initially became inspired to start an AAU team by seeing a logo with their logo in passing: “Sports for All, Forever!” When Leo read these words they stuck with him,  and he eventually decided to make it his mission to make that motto a reality for as many people as he could. Now, with my team at the end of its second season, he’s feeling satisfied with the knowledge that I’ve been able to make this happen, and confident that he’s going to keep going.

I was inspired to write this piece because I’ve seen advertisements for the Super Meteors in my area, and the more that I’ve heard about them, the more impressed I’ve been by their incredible story.