Practice | Teen Ink

Practice

Remember. Recall. Restart. Starting at such a young age gives chances for growth, strength, as well as, sometimes, a step in the wrong direction. I’ve found ways to connect to the people I play with and help to give examples for others to overcome the same struggles I once faced. Having to constantly remind myself to keep pushing forward and to keep my head up as I practice hours on end. 

I can do it. I know that I am capable of accomplishing my goals and giving myself a way to overcome any roadblocks that come in my way. I started playing softball when I was in third grade, and I immediately became in love with the sport, but of course like every other new obstacle, it comes with its struggles. I of course never expected to be good at playing first base right away, but it came in waves. Nothing ever came to me with one try at it, it took me almost three seasons to become a starter for the Lake Country team I had been playing on. 

I can do it. As the offseason approached, it gave me a lot of time to work on myself and to get myself better for the next season. I spent hours working on my batting form. I always wanted to be a power hitter and to bat in the number four spot, showing my power and strength as I came up to the plate. But that never came easy for me, it takes so much time and effort to put in and make me feel good in the position I am at, which still today I work on my batting stance and the strength I use from my legs to push the ball further into the outfield. 

“Crack” was the sound the bat made after the ball soared from the barrel of my bat, to the right field fence. I had taken the turn from second base towards third and felt my heart jump, I had done it, I finally made strong, powerful contact with the ball! 

I can do it. I sure can do it, but it takes effort. Nothing can be completed without being practiced. Practice makes perfect, every minute put in working towards something makes me a better person and player all around. Although I never would call myself the best, there will always be someone out there that can be better than me and can show me the improvement I need to work on. That will never change how I choose to play and practice, working on me is all that counts and making sure I am played to the best of my ability is how I want to feel everytime I step off the field.

Personal examples and views of the values and benefits of practice.