The White Outlines on the Grass | Teen Ink

The White Outlines on the Grass

By avrylindmarkk BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
avrylindmarkk BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

The white outlines on the grass, the tents huddled around the flat area where teams across the midwest gather to prepare for the battle that is coming their way. Bundled up in various colored raincoats and sweatpants, fighting the elements that have been brought their way. 

The white outlines on the grass, the start line displaying a banner that says “Nike Cross Regionals.” Runners start to slowly peel away the warm protective armor as they approach the start. Two more quick strides to keep the legs moving and warm. “One minute to the start of the race, no more further runouts.” From this point, everything goes still.

The white outlines on the grass, the slight breeze that rustles the leaves on the trees that surround the open path. Silence hangs in the air as everyone waits for the gun to go off. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5… and then nothing–until “BANG.” The sound of a gun erupts from the still sky. It triggers a stampede of runners to burst from behind the start line. It is like a battle, fighting to get into a good place in the race. Spikes start to sink into the soft surface with every single step. 

White outlines on the grass, the adrenaline rushes through everyone’s bodies. The sound of the screams of spectators slowly melts away. And the only sound heard is the heavy breathing escaping from deep inside the lungs. 

The white outlines on the grass, the cold rain that is pelting the runners as they move up the hill, down the hill, legs moving in a cyclical motion. The bright pink flag indicates the sharp turn ahead. A runner slips on the slick ground, losing precious seconds that they can not get back. Because, as their coach said, every place counts.

The white outlines on the grass, fighting to stay with the pack. Fighting to stay strong. Fighting to stay alive. The most difficult part is staying strong mentally. Thoughts of failure rush through everyone’s minds, the strong are the ones who can make these thoughts disappear.

The white outlines on the grass, the only way to define the feeling now is pain. This race becomes a life-or-death situation, a win-or-lose situation. Kick. The only thing left is the kick. Everyone attempts to run faster than they have ever run before, some more successful than others. The finish line is in view now. Less than 30 seconds left now.

The white outlines on the grass disappear once the finish line is crossed. Runners surround the shoot; some smiling, some crying, some dying, some throwing up. A large screen unveils the results, both team and individual. Happiness. Sadness. Anger. All emotions are shown through the faces of the runners. And to think all of this started with white outlines on the grass.

This piece is inspired by my racing experience at Nike Cross Regionals.