Building Confidence in Teen Basketball Players | Teen Ink

Building Confidence in Teen Basketball Players

May 26, 2023
By Isaact121 BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
Isaact121 BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Confidence is a crucial aspect of basketball performance. It can help players take risks, make better decisions, and perform at their best. I learned from playing basketball for 10 years that sometimes confidence can go a longer way than skill. 


The Positive Coaching Alliance (positivecoach.org) suggests that coaches should focus on effort and improvement instead of outcomes. By praising players for their hard work and progress, coaches can help them develop a growth mindset and build confidence. Additionally, coaches can encourage players to set achievable goals and celebrate their successes along the way. 


By visualizing successful performances, players can develop a sense of familiarity with the task at hand and reduce anxiety. Visualization can also help players identify potential obstacles and develop strategies for overcoming them. “Various mental strategies, such as visualization, self-talk and relaxation techniques, can help athletes overcome obstacles and achieve their full potential.” (Sport psychologists help professional and amateur athletes P.8)


The National Alliance for Youth Sports (nays.org) emphasizes the importance of positive self-talk in building confidence. Players who can replace negative thoughts with positive affirmations can develop a more optimistic outlook and a stronger sense of self-efficacy. Coaches can help players develop positive self-talk by modeling it themselves and encouraging players to focus on their strengths. 


By incorporating these strategies into their coaching and training, basketball players can help their players build the confidence they need to succeed on the court.


The author's comments:

This piece is personally related to me, and is based on things I've learned from my past playing basketball.