Hockey | Teen Ink

Hockey

By 5berger BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
5berger BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin

Hockey is the foundation of my life. My world revolves around it. 

Hockey has been in my family ever since my brother started playing a long time ago. I would spend my weekends watching my brother's game and examining every little detail. I watched the way the players moved their bodies and passed so effortlessly around the rink. How their skates dig into the ice but also glide at the same time. How they know where each and every player is on the ice like they are all somehow connected. It never gets old. The game of hockey is never not entertaining.

Hockey isn’t just a sport, but a life lesson. It teaches young athletes discipline and to show respect to everyone. Athletes learn to push through any obstacle and overcome it. It teaches them commitment, communication, and to lift up others. 

My team gets conditioned every practice, but everyone still shows up the next day no matter how bad it was. We all tap our sticks on the play like champions sign even when our legs feel like jello and we are breathing at such a fast rate. That shows respect to the game of hockey and our teammates and coaches knowing that we are also playing for them.

Hockey provides you with some of the best friends you’ll ever ask for. You have been through thick and thin with your teammates. For me, the friendships I have made from hockey are the strongest I’ve ever had.

One thing I do regret about hockey is getting home late with tons of untouched homework to do, showering close to midnight, and re-heating the dinner my mom put in a container for me when I get home. 

Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through it, and the answer is because I love it.

I like to write about hockey a lot because it is something that is very important to me. When I write about hockey it comes very easy to me to write about and I could give so many examples in my life.