Yoga for peace | Teen Ink

Yoga for peace

By EmilyF27 BRONZE, Sublette, Illinois
EmilyF27 BRONZE, Sublette, Illinois

Don't Assume the unassumed

Today has been really long, I feel a throbbing in my temples as a headache starts to form.
I drag my tired feet up the stairs and enter my bedroom and as I turn from closing the door, my eyes fall upon the rectangular green sticky mat that has been laying there since this morning.
I think to myself 'one sun salutation couldn't hurt' I step onto my mat near the front and remove my socks, taking a moment to lift and spread my toes and slowly put them back down.
I push my pelvic bones back and feel the lift in my spine.
I roll my shoulders up and back letting the action lift my heart. My arms extend downward straight and strong. I parallel my chin to the floor and close my eyes.
I hear the whisper of voices from my day repeating themselves over and over to me; I see the faces and places I went today.
I hear my breath rushing in and out of my lungs and I feel the small movement of my body as I balance.
I open my eyes fixing them on a spot on my window and then sweep my arms overhead and fold softly as I exhale.
My fingertips press into the floor and I bend my knees deeply, flattening my hands and step my right leg back into runner's lunge, lifting my heart and my head I look forward for two breaths and then bring my left leg back to meet the right.
I come forward into Chaturanga and lower my self slowly to the ground, feeling my tired muscles tremble, then I inhale and rise up into cobra, my hands feel like they're sliding back and my heart opens and expands.
I curl my toes under and push back into Downward Facing Dog pose, my body feels the all-over stretch, I play with bringing my heels all the way to the floor.
I bend my knees, look forward and slowly walk my feet back towards my hands.
I fold and let my body hang then I rise up, sweeping my arms over head and slide my hands down in front of my heart.
I start again, to balance out my left side and, once back in Tadasana (Mountain Pose) I pause and close my eyes, checking into where I am now. My mind has quieted, my head no longer throbs I smile and lay down on my mat, flat on my back and relax into Savasana, the final resting pose.
I check my body from head to toes, checking for tension. My forehead smooths and softens, I unclench my right hand. My eyes are closed, my breath comes softly and gently.
Savasana is the final pose, the one that helps integrate your yoga practice into your body.
I listen to the quiet of my own mind feel the last traces of stress dissipate into the floor below me.
I am at peace.

I decided to write this after reading the most recent Extra Ink Newsletter. It only took me about a half hour to write so it's not that great :-/ let me know what you think!

Yogimum said...
A beautiful article the perfectly describes the true benefits of Yoga.  Not as a workout, but a peaceful way to create a connection between the body, mind and breath.  What occurs when this is accomplished is beyond words.  Om Shanti