The Gateway to College | Teen Ink

The Gateway to College

December 12, 2007
By Anonymous

An achievement that has greatly impacted my life was when Georgia Tech recently offered me a full ride scholarship to play softball. I have been playing softball since I was a little girl and it is nice to know that all those years of playing tournaments until two in the morning finally seem to have paid off. Not only do I get the chance to attend a great school and work towards a good career, I get to continue doing something that I truly love.

From the age of ten years old, I have continually written down my goals that I hoped to achieve through softball. My first goal was always to play division one softball. Now my biggest goal has become a reality and I am both astounded and overcome with relief and excitement. Looking back over the years, I can see how much I have grown and progressed. Five years ago, I would have never guessed that I would be in the position that I am in. It is so surreal. Since I have been signed early in the year, I am able to now relax about college and focus on my grades while further trying to improve at softball.

One of the most exciting aspects of my achievement is that I am able to go to a highly prestigious school. Georgia Tech is known as one of the best schools in the country and can help further my chance of having an amazing career. Georgia tech has a 100% job placement in the field of engineering, which is a career I hope to pursue. Tech is a hard school and I will have to work twice as hard especially since I am going to play softball, but will definitely be worth it.

Not only is Georgia Tech hard to get into academically, but their softball team is ranked in the top twenty teams. Only about 100 girls are chosen a year to play division one softball and I am very grateful to be one of those special few. When I was first
noticed by Tech, it was at ASA state. We were playing our biggest rival, the Atlanta Vipers, who had a few girls the Georgia Tech scouts came to watch. I had a great game defensively and I went two for two with two walks offensively. It was a few weeks later when I found out that the scouts had seen me and had become interested in me.

I was very excited to hear that Georgia Tech, a division one school, was even remotely interested in me let alone wanting to offer me a scholarship. I was astonished when they told me on my first visit to the college that they were offering me a full ride to come play for them. I am extremely grateful for everything that has happened and for my coaches, family, and friends that have helped me along the way. I am exited about going to such a respectable school; I am so thankful to have the opportunity to keep doing something that I love with those who I consider to be some of the best. Georgia Tech is a highly prestigious school where I have a chance to achieve my highest potential.