The Big Diamond | Teen Ink

The Big Diamond

By Tommy Ward BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Tommy Ward BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Its, hard going from the top to the bottom, you can be the best pitcher, the biggest kid, who won MVP and homerun derby. Well guess what it is all about to change once you step up and go to the big diamond.

Did you know in little league the bases were 60ft long now they are 90. The mound was 45ft and now it is 60ft. the fence was around 200ft now it is around 320ft. So if you were hitting a homerun a game and averaging 500 batting avarage well guess what it is going to change now cause you are moving up to the big dimond. So you better step your game up.

You better not aim for the fence because it is not going to happen any more. You need to get to hit before you can get to first. You have to reach first before second. You have to reach second before you reach third. You have to reach third before you get to home. And that’s a long 360 ft just to let you no.

You may think that baseball is all-physical. Well you are right when you are playing little league. Once you take the big jump the game actually becomes 90% mental. There are so many concepts. You may not no this at the time. But baseball is a guessing game to.

What is the pitcher going to through? Says josh Hamilton at the plate. There are three concepts to being a good hitter see it out, see it in see it off. Says coach randy Foley. But you also have to no were the location is what they are throwing and what speed is it coming at. How are you going to win if your team can’t score? That is when the game becomes mental.
Once you have that down you can get on base. On base is not easy, you have to check you 3rd base coach sign and many other things. Is he going to pick me off? What type of defense are they playing?

Baseball is more then a game it is a life to some people. It takes hard work and determination to play on the big dimond.

If you want to be good just show up and use you’re natural talents, but if you want to be great you have to work on it and show determination. This make me think of my baseball mentor, coach randy Foley. His two favorite sayings are “practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice make perfect”. Another quote of his is.” once you step on this baseball field you are here with 2 pistils, once you come out you better have spent all the ammo in you’re tank, because you have to give it all you got”.

So the next time you say to your self I am the greatest at baseball just wait till you move up to the big dimond, and play the real game.

baseball

softballfreak42 GOLD, Holmdel, New Jersey

-DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-A love story gone wrong. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a love story.
-Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.
-When writing the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen.

I totally agree with you based on my experiences in softball moving up from 12U to 14U... it's a crazy difference.

A couple grammer mistakes but otherwise I enjoyed your article. Keep it up! =)