MY IDEA OF SPORT | Teen Ink

MY IDEA OF SPORT

By diggysmall SILVER, Cambridge, Massachusetts
diggysmall SILVER, Cambridge, Massachusetts

What does a SPORT mean? What do people think of when they hear t he word SPORT? Baseball, football, basketball, volleyball, track, etc. The definition of SPORT is: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment…. Wow That Sure Sounds Like Something I like to call cheerleading.

I believe that people like to judge cheering and say it’s so preppy and that all you do is cheer for the football players and stuff and people always have the wrong idea of it and it urk’s me a lot. I really do wonder why? I mean in cheerleading you don’t always cheer for football players, you also compete. I believe that this should be changed and that cheerleading should be a sport. I feel like us cheerleaders; we do get offensive about this. We just don’t understand. I as a cheerleader feel like this is not rite for people everywhere to say it’s not. Also judges and the government shouldn’t say anything at all. I feel like if you are not a cheerleader or have never been a cheerleader you shouldn’t comment and say it’s not a sport.

Us cheerleaders compete in competitions, we stunt, and do flips, in football all you do is, throw, kick, and catch the ball. I truly do think that there should be a change somehow. We do more, we flip and stunt and cheer and dance, we compete. Doesn’t that word mean anything to anyone anymore? I mean in the definition of SPORT it says an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team COMPETES.
I think that if you compete in something that it should be taken as a sport. The definition explains everything and cheerleading fits. I mean don’t get me wrong I love sports, but this is just something that has always been on my mind.

Also gymnastics, why is it a sport but cheerleading isn’t. To me they are practically the same, but somewhat different. In gymnastics and in cheerleading you do flips and dances but in gymnastics it’s on the bars and on the ground and in cheerleading you stunt and cheer. I still think it’s similar with the flips and if gymnastics is a sport then I believe cheering is too.

Like I said this subject can confuse anyone. This question will always be on my mind, until it is proven or until it finally is a sport by law. I can imagine my self-celebrating because they had just made a new fine “sport” called cheerleading and ill think back and say finally my question is cleared.