Basketball Needs a Change | Teen Ink

Basketball Needs a Change

By Cookie1998 BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
Cookie1998 BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio

One day I was walking to practice where my coach said “We don’t play tomorrow because St. Rose doesn’t have a 7th grade team” so I think more people should play more basketball.

Doctors from www. Go for Your Life.com say playing basketball builds muscle, helps burn calories, and helps your endurance. Sure there is a lot of running but after a while it’s a breeze. You don’t need to be the fastest kid on the team. It’s how much you can be approved. I am the slowest kid on the team, but I approved a lot. At first I had no idea what I was doing, and nobody wanted me on the team but my coach said “I pick the 12 best kids and then I picked the 2 kids that I know they would improved the most”.

If you stick with basketball, and go pro kids would look up to you. Shaq can break the backboard, so can Michael Jordan. They are some of the biggest stars, and that gets some kids look up to these, that’s a good feeling.

Also you meet new people, and go to new places. All the hard work pays off for the next grade team. There is always a way to get in the game. It’s amazing to hear the students and relatives scream you name when you score a point or block a shot. It’s also cool to shake hands with the other team, and hear the coaches say “you did a great job”.

Kids are starting to play football, and basketball is not played as much as much as football, so it’s declining. Basketball is a healthy sport so why are people ignoring it.