Horseback Riding | Teen Ink

Horseback Riding

By bumblebee_babii GOLD, Danbury, Connecticut
bumblebee_babii GOLD, Danbury, Connecticut

I started riding when I was eight or nine.

For my first lesson, my instructor had me ride English style. That was the first and last time I rode English style. My instructor, Britt, said I was a natural and that she wanted me to try riding Western style because it was more challenging. After my first lesson, I always rode Western.

Once I got a little bigger, I started putting the saddle, harness, reins, stirrups, etc. on my horse. I made sure that it was comfortable for the horse as well as safe enough for me to ride.

I always rode the same horse. Her name was Dixie and she was my best friend. I’ve always had trust issues, but with Dixie, I knew she would never let me fall. She trusted me as well, which made me never want to get down. Dixie was a beautiful horse. She was black with a white blaze on her head. Unfortunately, she passed away not too long ago, but I know she will always be with me. I love her more than anything.

Riding a horse is kind of like riding a bike. You never forget how to ride. If you are as small as I was when I first got on the back of a horse, you might feel a little nervous. You have to show the horse that you trust him/her, and your fears will disappear.