Fighting in Hockey | Teen Ink

Fighting in Hockey

April 21, 2013
By Anonymous

On the street or on the ice, hockey has been an evolving sport. Hockey's brings in massive controversy because of the constant FIGHTING, some agree with the fighting and say it comes with the sport but some feel the fighting is unnecessary.

With hockey come many stereotypes such as brutal game play, and lack of common respect for opponents. But can you say that these are all true? In hockey, players are have a role to play; there are snipers, danglers, enforcers, grinders, play-makers, offensive defense man, defensive defense man, and power forwards. In a game a defense man came run the puck, but what happens when a larger player comes in and blindsides him? Well here is when the coach decides whether the hit is punishing, if it is they can send out an enforcer to protect the defense man. Enforcers are also known for hitting and keeping fans into the game; and throughout seasons it seems fan like to see the violence.

Fighting has a long history in hockey, abut recently it has been becoming more taboo in recent years. In the mid 80’s they were averaging three fight per game in the NHL (National Hockey League) but more recently it has dropped to an average of .61(since 2010-2011 season) which is the lowest since the 1976-1977 season. During the seasons throughout the 50’s to 60’s fighting was not as prevalent, but when a fight did emerge then it was more brutal consisting on stick swinging and also bench clearings. At this time star players had to fight for themselves and the luxury of calling in an enforcer was not yet allowed.

Fighting in hockey should not be seen as an act of hatred from player to player but as a key role in keeping the game the way it always has been, and also a way to keep players safe so they can get through the 15 man roster to score. Fighting is essential for many reasons including income to the league, maintaining or gaining an energy level for the crowd and team, as well as sending a message to the other team.

In the recent years the NHLPA (National Hockey League Players Association) have been taking extra precautions to fighting, creating new rules like the third man in rule. This rule states that if a fight is taking place you are not allowed to interfere with the two players, with the acceptation of the ref. The refs are allowed to break up a fight if they think it is to brutal, if the two players are clearly done, or once the fight hits the ground.
Through the years we have seen many punishing fights, but all had their reasons. Weather it was to keep a player safe, or get the crowd into the game; it seems evident that we need fighting in hockey for a vast amount of reasons. In the upcoming years the NHLPA will be making rules more prevalent, and will hand out suspensions as needed, thus the argument can end.