Is Cheerleading A Sport? | Teen Ink

Is Cheerleading A Sport?

October 20, 2008
By Anonymous

Everyone is always talking about the cheerleader prototype. A blonde, tan, dumb, and stuck up girl. I believe, cheerleaders today are different and are really good athletes. Cheerleading has evolved so much over the past two decades, and should be considered a sport.

These days, making the cheerleading squad is not determined on your popularity. They actually have tryouts these days. Whenever you try out, the coaches score you on how flexible and athletic you are, and how capable they are to work together. These are all very important characteristics of any athlete.

There is even competition cheerleading! This is when different cheerleading squads go against each other to try to get first place. They tumble, dance, and stunt to gain points. They all have to do everything at a certain time and be fit enough to stay consistent throughout the whole routine.

Cheerleaders also have to be very physically fit to do all the things they do. They practice multiple times a week, as do football, basketball, softball, and soccer players. They get sweaty and work just as hard as everyone else.

There is no reason why cheerleading should not be considered a sport. Cheerleaders can do a lot of things that most people can not do. Like, do ten backhand springs after another. I know I can’t. They sweat just as much, or more than most football players or even hockey players. Cheerleaders are underestimated, and cheerleading should be considered a sport.