They Want Love, Love Wants Them | Teen Ink

They Want Love, Love Wants Them

June 7, 2014
By KevinLange PLATINUM, Boyne City, Michigan
KevinLange PLATINUM, Boyne City, Michigan
41 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Use the glass half empty as motivation, but at the end of the day, be glad that it's half full"-Unknown


If you’re Kevin Love, all you want to do at this point is win. Measuring and weighing in different contract offers, despite how often it’s been reliant on choosing a team, certainly has taken a backseat in Love’s priorities of decision-making for his unforeseen future. And then again, as only the NBA rumor updates are, new reports just suddenly leaked out of the blue and are now foreseeing Love’s future for him.

Recent reports have said Golden State Warriors new head coach Steve Kerr desperately wants a stretch 4 and is intrigued by the idea of making a deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves for Love. Get in line, Steve. But here’s the news that throws them at the front of the line. Love is interested, too.

According to sources, it was described that Love is thoroughly intrigued at the idea of playing for the Warriors, who’ve become quite familiar with winning these past few years. This spring, they took the LA Clippers to a game seven in the opening round of the playoffs. Despite tremendous guard play, they lost a blood battle, and it was quite evident what their missing piece was: a stretch 4. A versatile power forward that can stretch the floor with a lethal outside shot and play pick-and-pop with Stephen Curry, one of the most dangerous players coming off a ball screen this game has seen. Adding Love to that offense would be the talk of the sports world the rest of the offseason and, more importantly, a victory in Golden State before the first game’s even played. Obviously, it must come in exchange for several Warriors in a ponder-packed trade.

The key for Golden State will be to diligently work with Minnesota on this one because their Timberwolves are sniffing through their 28 other options as we speak. Love announced he’ll be exploring his options in free agency at the end of 2015, so that’s a red flag for Minnesota’s future with keeping him and a green light to try to throw together a trade this summer before their lone hot rod is off the roster, leaving a cloud of dust behind him.

To put in perspective how valuable Love is—and how disguising it can be with the troubles he’s had with team success—here’s a brief summary of the struggling situation in Minnesota.

In Love’s first six NBA seasons, all with the Timberwolves, his team staggered through the finish line with a combined 153-323 record. (Poor enough to be the finish line of their relationship with Love, as well.) Yikes. Love, meanwhile, has been the A+ in an otherwise failing report card. He’s been selected to the past three All-Star games and will most definitely be an All-NBA First (or a close Second) Team selection for this past season. In the summer of 2012, he was a major contributor to team USA’s gold medal at the Olympics in London, going 8-0 in their time there.

He has a taste of what winning feels like, and the fact that he said he’s expressed that he’s willing to explore free agency speaks volumes. He wants more of what the summer of 2012 brought him; there’s no doubt Golden State offers that.

“If the Warriors had Kevin Love, they’d be playing tonight (Western Conference finals),” ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith stated on First Take.
Could not agree more. Golden State would have to possibly trade away David Lee, Harrison Barnes, and perhaps a bench player if this were to ever happen. Now, if that trade went through, right back to their feet Golden State would spring, and this PAST spring would be forgotten in a heartbeat.

With the emergence of rookie Draymond Green into the starting lineup in the opening round of the playoffs, playing extensive, productive minutes, along with Klay Thompson’s gel that he has with fellow backcourt bud Stephen Curry, it’d be smart to keep Green and Thompson out of the equation. Curry’s obviously a hands-off in these situations, and the fact that it’s so seldom a team finds a backcourt that meshes so well is what makes Thompson almost just as much of a hands-off player on the trading block.

If this were to happen, it would shake up the already loaded competition in the West’s postseason bracket. And it’s almost certain the Warriors would be playing in it this time of the year next year. That in mind, it’s an opportunity they cannot let pass by. They want Love, and Love wants them. The Timberwolves’ verdict still pending, they must keep this in mind and be willing to accommodate for the mutual interest their best player has with the Warriors if they wish to get anything out of him.

At this point, it’s like the Timberwolves are holding him hostage with the option to either give him away for something of equal value or try to get as much out of him until the cop cars of free agency come to take him away. Minnesota has a no-brainer, here; just do what will help themselves, help Golden State, and help Kevin Love.

Besides, this guy is due for a taste of team success he doesn’t have to wait for the Olympics to get again. Only this taste would be permanent.