first triple | Teen Ink

first triple

By cara winter BRONZE, Concord, Michigan
cara winter BRONZE, Concord, Michigan

The ball was pitched; I swung with all my might. I ran as fast as I could, and got all the way to 3rd base. This was when I fell in love with softball and hit my first triple ever. It was the 3rd inning; we were playing away at Michigan Center, a cold and rainy April day. It was our first game of the season and I was up to bat. Two outs, two people on base. I thought to myself “I could either make or break this inning”. I was pitched the ball, I swung and it was gone!
It was out of here! At least I thought it was. I watched the ball hit the bottom of the fence I thought, dang it! Just short of a homerun. But I run as fast as I could to get to 3rd base. While I was running I saw Kimmy and Heather, the two people on base, run to home plate. The score was now 2-0. The cheering in the stands was booming on to the field.
Cheyenne was up to bat.  All she had to do was hit me home and we would have a 3 nothing lead. Cheyenne swung, she was just short of a homerun as well, I ran home and she ran all the way to 3rd base.
2 triple’s back to back! How sweet was that! Then Marlee was up to bat. She swung, she hit a double! Cheyenne runs home. 4 nothing lead. The coaches were so happy and excited they were jumping up and down. We weren’t getting out of this inning without some runs. Then Brittany was up to bat. 1, 2, and 3 she strikes out. It was the end of the 3rd inning.

It starts to down pour and the umpires come over to our dugout and tell us we were on a rain delay for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes of waiting the umpires to tell us the game was cancelled.  So our coaches went over to the Michigan Center coaches and asked them if we were going to reschedule or not and they said they didn’t want to reschedule the game so that means we won! We were so happy that we won and that we were able to go home and not be playing in the cold wet rain anymore.