The Eagle Has Landed | Teen Ink

The Eagle Has Landed

Middle of the fairway, clean lie, perfect yardage. After a very disappointing day, I have a chance to end on a high note. I looked at the pin, and it was in the back left. I had a pretty good angle at the flag. At about this time he wind rustled some of the nearby trees and it was right in my face. I grabbed my 56 degree wedge and I knew that I had to hit it pretty hard. The harder our hit a wedge the more it spins. 109 yards away, the pin and the hole look all of a sudden, very accessible. My dad said, “Just give it a go, you have nothing to lose.” So with all that in mind, I stepped up to the ball very confidently and looked down at my new ProV1x.

My mind is so empty, and focused on the shot at hand. I want to be aggressive on the last hole of the day. So I took the club back and I remember at the top of my backswing, I had a really fluent transition to the downswing. On the way down, I took the path of inside to out, which made a slight draw with left to right spin. At contact if felt like I hit nothing; it was that pure of contact. When I first saw it come off the club, it was tracking. It seemed like the ball was in the air forever. It was a different kind of ball flight though, just like it was floating through the air, and getting pulled to the hole by a magnet. Shadows covered the green, but the pin was in the sun. The ball hit with a healthy splat and spun violently back into the pin, and dropped into the hole for an eagle.

I threw my club up in the air out of relief and excitement. After all the ups and downs, it was a bittersweet moment. “Oh! Wow! Great shot!” my dad yelled. I just shook my head in disbelief. “Thanks”, was all I said.

it was the greatest moment of my life