Hockey | Teen Ink

Hockey

December 2, 2008
By Anonymous

My name’s Dylan, I’m fourteen and I live in Wisconsin. Ice hockey is a sport that inspires me to be a true champion. Hockey is a sport that motivates me to do my best, and to work my hardest.
I started hockey when I was six years old. I was the first one in my family to lace up the skates, so I had to learn a lot on my own, but I had a lot of help along the way from various coaches, to get to where I am today. I still remember the first time I got hockey gear like it was yesterday. My mom’s friend had a son who had gear, that they gave to me. I was ecstatic when they brought all the gear over; I couldn’t wait to lace up the skates. That night sparked a huge event in my life. Hockey not only kept me busy but out of trouble, too.

Ever since I started hockey, my whole life has evolved around the great sport. A couple years ago, my family and coaches started to think that I could go somewhere with hockey; my family signed me up for several tryouts for more advanced teams, one of the teams was Team Wisconsin. I made Team Wisconsin and was privileged enough to play with the states finest hockey players. Since that year when I made Team Wisconsin, I’ve taken hockey a lot more seriously to try and make it to the next level after high school. When it comes to hockey, I am serious about it, but I also make sure I’m having a good time.

There’s one quote down at our hockey association that I think is the best quote for a child to live by. It says, “A kid on the ice, is seldom in hot water.” I think that is a great quote, I look at where I am today, and I greatly appreciate my parents for taking the time to let me get involved with hockey.