Wrestling | Teen Ink

Wrestling

By Devin Stephan BRONZE, Marengo, Iowa
Devin Stephan BRONZE, Marengo, Iowa

Everybody needs to be a part of a community. It’s in our human nature. Another thing that’s in our human nature, is fighting. Ever since the beginning of time, humans have wanted to fight. Since these people have evolved, they have created wrestling.
Most people assume wrestling is just about out-muscling, and beating up the guy you are against. But it’s so much more than that. What these people don’t know is how much practice time is put in, so that a person is ready for this match. In In Search Of The Good Family, the writer talks of what makes a community a community, but it goes deeper than that. Practices are pretty much what one would expect. The chief of our team, Coach Kriegel, telling us what we’re doing for the day, drilling some technique, live wrestling, and then conditioning. Even outside of our practices, he’s always keeping track with what his wrestlers are doing inside of school and outside of it. He makes sure our grades are in line and that his wrestlers aren’t doing anything irresponsible on the weekends. Some wrestlers are more open and outgoing than others, call it hospitable. One wrestler that comes to mind is Drake Healey, who lets the other wrestlers come over to his house whenever they want to run extra if they are overweight, to weigh, and to even watch movies for team bonding. Not every wrestler has a positive attitude like Drake or Coach Kriegel, some just want to go through the motions at practice. Tyler just likes to miss practices sometimes and it doesn't affect him like it might affect other people. He's not a bad wrestler at all, he's just not a die hard wrestler when it comes to going hard in practice.
There are many rituals in the sport of wrestling, whether it be just stretching before a match, or eating certain food the day of or the day before matches. The most predominant one people can think of is not eating the day of or even the day before meets just to make weight, and then completely devouring any food in sight after you weigh in. This may not be the smartest thing to do for cutting weight, but that's just one of the joys of the wrestling lifestyle. Many of the fans even get into the sport. Some just go to meets to watch, and others get the fire lit in them and go crazy during matches. A fan that isn't thought of often, is the mother. They are there every step of the way with the wrestler, supporting the weight loss goals and keeping them on track and going to practices. Sure your coach can give you affection because he loves the sport, but it's nothing of how a mother feels for her wrestler child.
Basic human needs are what make us want to be a part of team or a community. But all of these traits have something in common too, they are what makes a family, a family.