90 minutes of craziness | Teen Ink

90 minutes of craziness

By Sean O'Brien BRONZE, San Francisco, California
Sean O'Brien BRONZE, San Francisco, California

Only thirty minutes into the soccer match. It is the championship game and we had to win. Red and yellow cards were flying to my left and to my right! The game was moving so fast, the ball for one second was in the air and then the other second in the net. Parents, friends, coaches, and fans were like crazy monkeys locked up in a zoo, chanting, screaming, even sometimes yelling at the ref, or the players on the field. One parent looked like he wanted to punch the referee as he was trying to run on the field. I tried my hardest to stay focused and not pay attention to the roaring crowd. The ball came to my feet, I dribbled as fast as I could passing the first defender, then the second, as I approached the third defender all I could remember was a big blow to my side and the ref blowing the whistle. Foul. I’m on the ground still, luckily I was ok and walked it off. I got up to take the free kick, I watched the goalie carefully and all the movements she made with her feet. I shot the ball with all my strength! Before I could see if it went in or not the crowd yelled GOOOAAALLL!!! The score was now 3-3. Tie game.

Second half, I was exhausted but I knew I had to keep playing no matter what. Forty more minutes of craziness. My coach put me up at center forward position. As I walked on the field the opposing team was giving me dirty looks, swearing under their breath, and snickering as I walked on the field. I didn’t pay attention to them and kept looking forward. The referee blew the whistle, starting the second half! We passed the ball quickly and accurately to each other making sure the other team couldn’t see the ball or have a chase to get a touch on it. 1,10, even 15 passes were made within a few seconds, the other team was getting tired and frustrated chasing the ball back and forth. This led to even more fouls and dirty plays. Then I passed to my center mid, as she was getting ready to trap and receive the ball with her feet, the next thing you can hear is bang! She was knocked onto the ground by the other team. I ran up to the girl who knocked her down and pushed her away from my teammate yelling and swearing at her to back off. She got a yellow card as did I. A yellow card is a warning, meaning if you get another yellow card you get a red card which means you are out for the rest of the game, including two games after.

Only five minutes left. It’s still a tied game 3-3 and we had many chances to score but so did they. The ball was passed to me, I megged the first defender while she tried pulling on my arm to stop me but I passed the ball off to my right forward. She sprinted down the sideline almost as a fast as a car zooming down the freeway, I ran up to catch up with her so I could be a support back if she needed me. She crosses the ball in the air, it almost looked like it was in slow motion. I jumped the highest I could trying to get my head on the ball. I’m in mid-air and so is the defender right beside me, we collide heads! It felt like the referee was blowing the whistle over and over again. penalty kick our side. One minute left, if I make this penalty kick we win! I place the ball on the white dot marking the Penalty spot. The goalie was trying to sike me out by yelling, “Don’t miss, Don’t miss!” I run up to kick the ball and I fake my kick to the right and I shoot it to my left! The ball hit the left post going in the net! GOAL!!! We won! Half the fans screaming with joy and the other half in disappointment. My team ran around the field chanting with the trophy. This was for sure one of the best feelings I ever had while playing a sport. I learned to never give up and play like you will never play again!

This piece is about the time I played in a brutal match of soccer