Barrel Racing | Teen Ink

Barrel Racing

August 21, 2015
By BarrelRacer99 BRONZE, Liberty, Utah
BarrelRacer99 BRONZE, Liberty, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone always says that barrel racing isn't a sport because all you do is sit on your horse while you horse does all the work. That is not true at all, who do you think put all the work and training into that horse? It was us, the "Barrel Racers." Everytime I step into that arena I get a feeling that I've never felt before, it's a feeling of accomplishment by having this big, strong, powerful, 1,200 pound animal doing whatever I want him to do.  It take months, and sometimes years to get your horse to trust in you, and when that happens you then become one.
   

I have two horses, my gelding is a 10 year old, 16 hand, Appaloosa Thoroughbred whom I just recently started on barrels. My mare is a 8 year old, 15 hand, Quarter Horse who I haven't started on barrels yet, She'll be started in a couple weeks. Trigger is my gelding and I've been working on the barrels with him for a couple of months now, next spring he'll be my new barrel horse and we'll be traveling to barrel races all over Utah. Rickasha my mare might be ready by then, it just depends on how fast of a learner she is.  By the time it's all said and done i'll have two completely different barrel horses.

   

I've had Trigger for 2  years now, and I took some doing to earn his trust, and to become a team like we are now. Trigger and I are always together. We have came so far as a team and will continue that especially when we win our first barrel race together. It took me almost a year to train Trigger just to ride him. I know that Trigger has the ability to be an amazing barrel horse once he figures out that it is fun, and he has a very competitive side so that is a plus.

 

My big sister Paige, has been helping me a lot with everything that has to do with barrel racing. She's been by my side from the beginning and she always tells me how good I did, or what I need to improve on. Paige is like my "Rodeo Mom" because my mom and dad work a lot so she is always there for me. My mom has been
there for me from the start as well. She has gone down to the arena with so many times I can't count, and she sits there all day just to watch me. I am very thankful for my family support.

 

So as you can see Barrel Racing is more work than everybody thinks. I takes mental and physical health to compete and get your self ready to win. It's not just sitting on your horse doing nothing, its a mental game, you have to look at the next barrel to show your horse where to go, you have to know how wide to take your turns, establish where your pockets are, where to slow down, etc. Barrel Racing has a special spot in my heart that I'll always have, I'll always be a barrel racer now.