Breaking Free from Fear | Teen Ink

Breaking Free from Fear

By henderson BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
henderson BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

I could feel the sweat pouring off of my head as i walked into what seems like the biggest change in my life

In the fall september 8 2015 I joined the football team but, not official i did not sign up for it or nor did I get all my stuff filled out for a while, the coach there wanted me so he got all the things i need to join and we did it.
It was funny thought when I got there I told the coach that i wanted to join football and the 8th grade coach jumped up and said that I’ll take him” said  with excitement  they were shock that a 6’0 kid is only in 7th grade. after that I got to the right coach and he asked me if I wanted to do my conditioning today or tomorrow in which If I did it the next day then I couldn’t play in the scrimmage  so I choose today I had to run 50 yards then back then again push ups up down and the only time I go out to workout is school so this sucks I hated my decision on wanting to join now I’m thinking “How the hell do I get out of this” this team new people didn’t seem to like me or care for me but, the other guy on the team that joined they liked him he was fast  (not as tall as me ) there was one other guy that was big like me and hit like me so they had no reason to like me or to accept me
but, there was one thing that keep me in there eyes was that I was a lot faster than the other guy which means I have more muscle to where I can improve on and hit a lot harder than the other guy. After about an hour of doing my conditioning I am dead there was  a lot of running.

I looking at the how the team worked I thought to myself
“this is getting really boring”
after another hour I was just nothing, nothing left of me and I had to go back  and do this again for 3 day i thought in my head quote unquote “this is Hell”
my team was not letting me in on what’s what I’m not getting what the my couch is explaining what formation is
“sally 23 on 3”
my couch said this means that you go on the third person hole there was 5 people and each person if your defence then it's odd number offences  was even number this got to me when the game day came I did not know the positions these guys had 4 weeks to learn the plays and go over the numbers.
me I just got done with my conditioning and I was just able to play with my full gear to play but, so i’m lost like badly lost i don’t know where to go my team is yelling at me to got here and there the ball goes i hit the guy that I am supposed to do so not knowing what to do is one of my faults but, you know late guy coming into football not much I can do is just do what i am told.
The time that I  overcame my boundary in football 
“this is getting really boring”
“sally 23 on 3”

As the game when on my team was winning we had to play on half field because there was 4 other teams that we had to play i look up at the sky i notice a slit heavy brase like someone was breathing next to you it was highly noticeable also the clouds gained  darker the wind picked up and the Now the clouds wheres over our heads dark as can be and just I get into the field I feel the tiniest raindrop on my nose I look up and just in a second it feeled  like a bucket of water that hit my face the rain poured on us but, the game kept going the ball snapped I wasn’t paying to much attention because of my misfortune i get hit into the ground right into one of my teammate heldments I didn’t think anything of it until the next day i got the news that andy (the kid that i hit)

got a concussion I think into my head “great now my chance of being accepted into the team are slimed to none”
As I was right I go home great ready for practice we ran our butts off because of how poorly our teamworkship was we won but, as my coach said “ you're not a team so today we are going to beat the team into you” we did suicide and up downs, around the work ( that's where you run for sideline to sideline all the way down the field until everyone hit the end ) it was something it told everyone that we should start to work as a team.The whole running took about an hour the team was pissed
“this is not what I signed up for” one player told
“Danny don’t mess up nexted time” one teased to me
but as insults when on one guy my father knew his father because they used to play football together walked up to me and we started  talked and i got to know him in the last hour of practice and right then and there I made my first step into become one of the team.
It’s friday as i wake up I don’t have to go to practice today just school but this what i needed I got class with our QB so i thought “If i talked to him get to know him then I’ll make it” so that’s what I did 2nd hour started I sat right next to him I was somewhat shocked that he was not a jerk about talking to me he seemed more interested on seeing me play then sit on the bench he said “The guys are only trying to harden you up so you're not a weak chain just show them what you're made of them all then you're one of us” just as he said that I felt once again outcasted I don’t think that he mented in that way but still.
as the day goes on I talk to my friend sam he is was the one my father played football with his father when they were in high school i was asking him if he had the same problem when he joined the football team he told me “No when I join it was nothing to it just join and you're welcomed into the family basicly ” I replied “ then why am i the outcasted of this story” Sam could not give me an answer because he never had this type of problem to deal with.
After school I go home the weekend started I get to just do what I want to do I until My father walked in and tells me that we are going to practice

“my father has a bad shoulder what can he teach me that I don’t know all ready?”
  well he told me that my height and weight and can be of use if I use my shoulder using ramming speed than I could knock my opponent off of his toes and into the groud well as the guy that I am I listen to his lesson that did come in handy because not only 2 day later my coach told me that same lesson i finally knew something that my team didn’t so I taught them how to hit like that in the interred they started to open up little by little they started to teach me something to about the hole stream that for everyone has a number and you want to get pass that hole to get the ball carrier.

In the end I come to like my team they became friends we had each other's backs even when time seemed like I could not make into the team I overcame my boundaries and in result I meet one of my close friends and still friends today by this experience I have became the person I am today by asking to join football and breaking my boundaries

This is the time that i thought that I could not do this but i over came my selfdought