The Final Dive | Teen Ink

The Final Dive MAG

By morganpaul0204 BRONZE, Libertyville, Illinois
morganpaul0204 BRONZE, Libertyville, Illinois

The roar of the crowd floods my ears, and my veins pump with adrenaline. The violent thumps of my heart take over my quivering body as cool water streams down my face to the tile. My name is announced, and I approach the board.

Deep breaths. In and out. In and out. Focus.

Right foot. Left foot. Right foot. Left foot. Knee up. Hurdle. Extend.

Now alone in the air, an unsettling thought hits me: This is it. The last dive of my high school career. The lone obstacle between me and my dreams. The next four years of my life depend on the execution of this single dive. The best 12 divers in the state have all come to this point. This is it.

The roar of the crowd is suddenly silenced. My ears flood with water and everything is calm. At the bottom of the pool, I appreciate the brief serenity. Bubbles reach for the surface, struggling to reunite with the air. I ponder the intensity of this crucial moment. My lungs begin to yearn for air, and I push off the smooth pool floor. As my lips break the surface, I feel a rush of satisfaction invigorate my body. 

i am a state ranked diver forseeing my final dive at the state meet senior year. I am nervous for that dive because it will affect my entire diving career as my plan is to pursue diving in college. 

L.J.Barnes. GOLD, Powhatan, Virginia

Avoid roasted cabbage, don't eat earwax and look on the bright side of life!
~Angela the Herbalist

I am left wondering how you did on that final dive. Good job :D