Softball Tryout Tips and Tricks | Teen Ink

Softball Tryout Tips and Tricks

By Coronado6 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Coronado6 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

Your deeds are your monuments.

“Individual commitment to a group effort -- that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work” - Vince Lombardi

Just think you are at a state championship and you hit the winning homerun. While a smile spreads from ear to ear, you are being lifted up slowly and being named MVP. Every athlete dreams about that moment, all you need to do to achieve that dream is make a great first impression. As you dream of these amazing moments, you suddenly realize you want to be a part of a softball team. While being on a softball team is a wonderful experience, there is one step that you must take to make the team of your dreams. Consistency, positivity, and confidence and standing out are all excellent ways to show coaches that you are here to stay. Along with, that you deserve one of the spots they are offering. Everyone has their super star and likes to show them off, you could be the coach’s new star. This text will be a guide to making any team you wish to be on.

“The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way” - Dale Carnegie

To begin with, tryout continual participation is crucial. Though success may not come the first time around, trying again is never a horrible idea. Going to multiple tryouts is very beneficial because then you have options. In the past, I have had some issues with tryouts. Due to me being born later in the year my age requires that I tryout mostly every year.  While some kids get accepted to one team you have the options of multiple teams.“If the team you are trying out for has multiple dates for their tryout and you aren't otherwise engaged, I advise that you attend as many as possible. Many teams will ask you to come to multiple dates.” Being consistent can be difference between a US national team and a recreational support team. You could even grow up to play on the US national team. Anyways, when playing any sport, whether it’s baseball, basketball, or softball positivity is one of the easiest ways to receive a spot on a team.

“If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges” - Pat Riley

According to the past tips and tricks, it is clear that success only comes from working hard and persistence but there is way more to make the team. Coaches are constantly looking for the kids who see the glass as half full. In other words, positivity is crucial to your survival at a tryout. At all tryouts coaches are looking for team players. They are looking for athletes who are willing to sacrifice for the team rather than play only for themselves. For example, in the case of a game scenario, slide into an out to make the other kid safe. Your attitude and whether you are coachable or not will be a huge factor for their decision. That is not to say that you should break a bone just to prove yourself to a coach. They only want to see if you are a leader or a shy player.  Prove that you are the best with all the drills that are set up.

Now, players of all ages have their strengths but also their weaknesses. A coach will test both strengths and weaknesses. Running may not appeal to you as sliding does, so you just have to take one for the team.

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle” - Abraham Lincoln

Try your hardest and if you give your best, that’s all you can do. Past experiences prove that if you are not willing to do what is necessary, a coach is most likely not going accept you on to his team.  You might being doing your best and think that you need to do better. Just remember, all you can do is your best, and your best is a competition against yourself not anybody else.

“The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique” - Walt Disney

When being on a softball team, you must be that person who will be a team player and supportive but also confident. At a tryout you do not need to be afraid of standing out. That is a good thing but do not go overboard. “One of the things coaches look for during tryouts is attitude and effort. If she looks like she belongs we will see her that way. Be verbal with the coaches and other girls...make us notice you... STAND OUT!” What he means is that you should be the confident about who you are! Be who you want to be, be you. Relax, this may sound easy, but in many ways tryouts are more stressful than games. Tell yourself to step back and take a well deserved deep breath. Say, “ I am worthy for this team and ready for anything,” and believe it. All you need is self confidence for the win of the day.

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much” - Helen Keller

A tryout is intimidating and stressful but could lead to something amazing, being on a team. Positivity, consistency, standing out and confidence could be the difference between an offer and a decline. When you decide to try out, tell yourself, “I am a great player and they need me on their team.” Just remember, the perfect team for you is out there so go show them what you’ve got!