Baltimore Orioles Defeat Red Sox | Teen Ink

Baltimore Orioles Defeat Red Sox

June 6, 2017
By Anonymous

The Boston Red Sox fell to the Baltimore Orioles in the first of a three game series in Camden Yards. As a whole, the Red Sox did not perform as well as they could, but the Orioles took advantage of the sub-par Red Sox. Eduardo Rodriguez started on the mound for the Red Sox, opposite of Wade Miley for the Orioles.


Rodriguez gave up a home run to Mark Trumbo in the first inning, allowing Manny Machado to score as well. In the fourth, Chris Davis sent his twelfth of the year over the wall, expanding the Orioles lead. In the sixth inning, the Orioles blew the game open by scoring four on account of a solo shot by Adam Jones and a three run home run by Jonathan Schoop. At this point in the game, the Orioles had a 7-1 lead. After the fourth home run being hit off of him, Rodriguez was pulled from the game in favor of Blaine Boyer who pitched the rest of the sixth and the seventh. In the eighth, Fernando Abad came into the game and finished, not allowing any runs.


The Red Sox offense was quieter both than usual and much less than the Orioles offense. They retaliated in the following inning when Christian Vázquez singled, scoring Sam Travis. After that, the Sox offense was quiet until the top of the ninth. Vazquez singled again, this time scoring Hanley Ramirez. The next batter, Jackie Bradley Jr. hit a home run to center field scoring both Vázquez as well as Josh Rutledge. Miley pitched a stellar 7.2 innings, followed by Mike Wright, pitching 1.2. He was pulled after the Vázquez home run, and was relieved by Donnie Hart who gave up the Bradley home run, but struck out Pablo Sandoval to end the game.


After this nightmare for the Red Sox, they were still ahead of the Orioles in the division, but only by ½ of a game. The Yankees are in first in the division, ahead by three games. After this three game series, the Red Sox go to New York to face the Yankees, an important series for both teams. IF the Yankees want to stay at the top of the division, they need to win at least 2 of the games against the Red Sox. The Orioles face the Pirates in a two game series, then go to Washington for one make up game, then over to New York. The Yankees have an important six games ahead of them because they play both the second and third seeded teams in their division, so in order to stay on top, they must win a majority of their games.