Happiness in the Caribbean | Teen Ink

Happiness in the Caribbean

By rachelkotula BRONZE, Auburn, New York
rachelkotula BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Not many people have had the opportunity to visit another country. I am beyond thankful to say that I have been to several countries, one being Jamaica. I emphasize this country when I talk about my travels because it was the most beautiful experience that I will never forget. The music, the people and the experience. Everything about the trip taught me a lot. The more I stayed in Jamaica, the more I realized the importance of being happy with everything you have.

The sun was beating on everyone on the streets. My skin started to heat up and I could feel it burning slowly. Beads of sweat would slowly fall down the side of the shop worker’s faces. The shops were lined up perfectly next to each other compacted and full of dirt. Each shop was small and crowded. It was difficult for everyone to get around. People would bump shoulders in a single shop. I immediately noticed how hard everyone was working in the small and unbelievably hot shops. Even if they didn't want to, they knew they needed to in order to put food on the table for their families. In a country of poverty, they do anything to keep themselves afloat. One specific shop had caught my eye. The outside was full of bright colors that were pleasing to the eye. They were a variety of pinks, yellows, oranges and greens. As soon as I walked towards it there was an aroma that was pleasing to the nose. Right when I walked in I noticed a bunch of kids playing and having fun. Of course, I bought a few things and the women behind the small counter told me I didn't have to pay for such small items. Astonished, I still gave her money but still wanted to understand why? She proceeded to explain to me that it wasn't at all a big deal and that as long as she had her kids and they were happy, then that's all that mattered. This generous lady had been working all day in the sun for money and still insisted. Walking out of the store with the warm dirt under my feet, I looked to my right and saw several men and women wearing a velvet red outfit that appeared silky. All of a sudden, they begin to dance and children around them joined with smiles so wide and laughs so loud that you could hear it from inside the shops. Everyone including the kids are kicking up the dirt and dancing with everyone without a care in the world. In that very moment money wasn't an issue and the fact that it was scorching hot outside without air conditioning didn't matter. All that mattered was their happiness and enjoying their time with their friends and family.

Experiencing this gave me a different perspective on life. The idea that not everything revolves around money and that I can’t look at the bad side of things. Instead, I should be optimistic and work with what I have. It has made me become more appreciative of what I have and not what I don't have.

In a way, I believe that I was supposed to go to Jamaica to see for myself that I need to be less materialistic. I grew up in a world where money wasn't in issue in my life and I thought that that was what my life depended on. In reality all I need is happiness in my life whether it be with myself or others. Of course the beaches were beautiful with crystal blue water and warm white sand that had several palm trees sticking out, but nothing will compare to the actual Jamaican life.