Sacramento, My Home | Teen Ink

Sacramento, My Home

By oahtebeohp BRONZE, Sacramento, California
oahtebeohp BRONZE, Sacramento, California

The City of Trees, also known as the State Capitol of California, we’re all so close and happy. Which is recognizable for our marvelous, strong, and beautiful buildings in its Downtown area and many tourist attractions like Old Sacramento. With the many quiet and charmful neighborhoods with a community park in the heart of each division. South Sacramento has many Asian Plazas with lots of boba-tea shops like T4, Lollicup, and Quickly. There are plenty of restaurants to indulge for a meal, as some of my favorites being Shrimp Lover and Boiling Crab. The State of California has told us we’ll make an income of $80,000. These roads in the neighborhoods are smooth and the sidewalks are safe to walk alone on. Life here in Sacramento is serene with a plethora of camaraderie. Come, come all you’ll have an amazing life.  

I wish it was, but that’s not the whole truth though. There are still many flaws and the truth isn’t always played out for all to see. In the Meadowview District area of South Sacramento, my neighborhood there’s the constant scent of marijuana. Homes don’t look the best like in the movies and fences are down, not even servicing its proposes. There are trash on the side of our roads and walking alone day or night doesn’t feel safe. The thought of knowing a dead body was found at the park near my house is so frightening. The sounds of police helicopter flying overhead everyday or stray dogs roaming around shouldn’t be a home. Occasionally you might even cross paths with someone under the influence and not know what to expect. Home doesn’t feel like home.

In all honesty, we should get more funds for education instead of other items. For example, instead of  trying to fix the roads and little potholes on the sidewalk, schools should be getting the attention. I understand that not all the money goes towards fixing roads but schools should be prioritized. We can always fix the roads but we don’t always have the chance to have a superior education. Our parks aren’t the best either. They give off eerie vibes with dim lights. To let families feel safe, brighter lights should be installed. Another topic of concern, is the government saying you’ll make $80,000. People move for a chance of a better life, but we still have many unemployed people. It’s already a challenge to get hired into McDonald’s without a high school degree or even be currently attending a high school. So how could residents be making $80,000?

Why create an image of my “home” that isn’t true?

Speaking of not knowing what to expect, I’m afraid to even admit I’m scared to be walking home alone from school. The walk is only 30 minutes too. The thought that you don’t know what’s going to happen is really unnerving. On top of that, the shooting amongst teens and people of color are off the charts, it blows my mind. Not to mention, our little plazas may be amazing and cute but by the end of the day, there are many homeless people seeking shelter and sleeping by the doors. That’s not even half of our issues.

Sacramento, the place I call my home, is more like Sacramento my nightmare. It’s upsetting that we portray our city so well it’s fictitious. Does this seem like home to you?