Chicago | Teen Ink

Chicago

By spencerkrinke SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
spencerkrinke SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

The name Chicago comes from the Algonquin word “Chicagou” or “Shikaakwa.”Which translates to “onion field” or “wild garlic.” Which the Algonquin tribe never even inhabited Chicago the tribe always lived in Canada in Ontario and Toronto. It is also a weird name for a city that is one of the biggest cities in the country named after the translation onion field or wild garlic.  Which is a cool fact but there are many more interesting things about Chicago. Which is why when I get older I would like to live in Chicago. The three main things that would be the best about living there is I am a Chicago sports fan, it’s warmer than Minnesota, there are lots of attractions and sites to see while I am there. So I could always have something to do while I live there.

There are lots of things to do in Chicago like shopping at the shops at northbridge or go see some sites around the city like like Willis tower. Also, go to the top of the one hundred and ten story building and look out all the glass windows and see all over the city and see the amazing view and how amazing the city is. I could go see museums all over the city like The Chicago history museum, Field Museum, and the DuSable Museum of African American history and see about the history of Chicago and see what the city was like in the past. One thing that I like about Chicago is the weather in the city.

For the winter in Chicago, the average temperature for even the coldest part of the winter is around twenty-one degrees Fahrenheit. Which compared to winter here in Minnesota the coldest it gets is around five to ten degrees Fahrenheit which for me, a person who is even used to Minnesota winters, a ten to fifteen-degree jump in the weather would be so much better weather. Also, in Chicago there is more wind and average summer days there are normally more cool and nicer days. So it would be really nice to have a warmer winter and a cooler summer. Then the thing I hate most about Minnesota is the snow and in Chicago, they get an average one foot less of snow per year on the average which is great because up in Minnesota I hate having to snow blow or shovel. Then the most important and best part about moving to Chicago is being a sports fan.

Ever since I was a little kid I have always been a Chicago sports fan and those teams that I have always been a fan of include the Bulls, the Cubs, and my favorite team of them all is the Chicago Bears. As being a fan of those teams I have always wanted to go to some of their games and I have never been able to because I live in Minnesota but if I lived in Chicago I could go to a lot more games and support my favorite teams. Another cool thing is that if I lived in Chicago I could have other people like me that like all of those teams and I would never get made fun of if any of my teams lost instead I could be mad with other Chicago fans.

So if I did live in Chicago I would always have something to do. It would always be warmer than in Minnesota so I would never be freezing outside. Then lastly I could go to games and support my favorite teams like the Cubs, the Bulls, and finally the Bears. Also, the cool fact about Chicago's name is that the name Chicago comes from the Algonquin word “Chicagou” or “Shikaakwa.”Which translates to “onion field” or “wild garlic.” Which the Algonquin tribe never even inhabited Chicago the tribe always lived in Canada in Ontario and Toronto. It would be one of my life goals to live there and in the future, we will see what happens.