A Family Trip | Teen Ink

A Family Trip

By BlueCougar BRONZE, Meridian, Idaho
BlueCougar BRONZE, Meridian, Idaho

About two years ago my family decided to visit Yellowstone. We were planning to stay at a friend’s cabin in Island Park on Thursday night and go to Yellowstone on Saturday. While on Friday we would do some activities in Island Park. We were ready early Thursday morning and were on our way. The drive was going well until we got to American Falls and there was a full semi-truck tire right in the middle of the road. My dad who was driving, did not see it in time and it was too late to swerve so he ran right over it. There was a big bump and the middle started to shake and we looked up what could happen if you ran over a tire and found out that carbon dioxide could leak into the car. So, we decided to get off at the nearest exit which happened to be Pocatello. We had to get the car looked at or we could not get to Island Park in time and would not be able to go to Yellowstone. Unfortunately, all the car shops were closed but we asked one of the guys locking up his shop if we had any other option. He told us there was a mobile mechanic who lived in Pocatello and gave us his number. We called him and meet him at an Auto Zone, so he could look at our van. When he got there, he told us that he was the only certified mobile mechanic in Idaho. He looked at our car and told us that we needed to order a new part from Honda. So, we decided to stay at a hotel that night, totally throwing a wrench in our Yellowstone plans. After we ate dinner Brain, the mechanic helped us find a hotel and said we would talk in the morning. Luckily our friends had family in the area and they offered to lend us their van, so we could still go to Yellowstone for at least a day. Brain told us that the part could not come in until late Saturday evening, so we went to Yellowstone and had a great time. Then we drove back, paid Brain, and drove home on Sunday.

It was fun to retell a rel life challenge the happened to our family.