Frybread Wishes | Teen Ink

Frybread Wishes

By ArriTheFox BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ArriTheFox BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

“Dad, can I make the frybread with you?” I ask, hopeful. I didn’t actually think that he’d let me help him. After all, it was New Year’s Eve… December 31st, 2018… and my fourteenth birthday.

My mom was hanging up “Happy Birthday!” flags on the window near our dinner table.

“Sure,” my dad says with a small smile. What a great birthday present, indeed!

Frybread - an essential ingredient for indian tacos - if you don’t know, is a Native American food. It’s a tan, unpredictably-shaped, delicious kind of bread. Before this, I had no knowledge of how to make this traditional food.

But, with the help of my dad, this crackling, burning ember of our culture adds to the strong, golden, colorful ribbons of flame of our native traditions.

From the entryway of the kitchen, I glance over at the cardinal painting that’s hanging in the living room - though my dad doesn’t call it a painting.

I notice the small, ruby-colored bodies of the cardinals as they perch on a silver bench in the middle of a beautiful, snowy landscape. Everything in that picture brings up memories.

A gorgeous ebony lamppost stands tall beside the wonderful, stunningly-painted bench. Everything in that picture seems perfect. That’s because it is.

Cardinals represent grandmothers and grandfathers in our culture.

“Take out the baking powder, milk, measuring cups, and flour,” my dad instructs, his voice yanking me out of my thoughts.

“Will do,” I answer back, taking the ingredients out. He gets the rest of them, and together, we start pouring the ingredients into the bowl. I can’t remember what the measurements are for each ingredient; everything’s moving so fast, slipping past us like sand through fingertips.

But I love making frybread with my dad.

Every good chef needs an apron. I read the words in his eyes as he hands me one silently. I grab a crimson-colored hair elastic and quickly put up my long, blonde hair, not even bothering to use a hairbrush.

He grins again, pinning a “Cat Lover” pin onto my apron. I hear the three kittens, lined up in a row on the pin, clinking together softly.

“Cover the bowl up, please, with the dish towel.” My dad motions to the towel that is draped along the handle of the oven.

I can’t help but smile as we leave the stirred, now-sticky dough out to settle.

When I come back from the living room, my dad is already heating up some oil in a pan. Little did I know that I would be doing the part that I like most: flipping the bread!

My dad calls me in from the living room. My mom continues setting things out for my birthday.

“We need the tongs from the camper…” my dad says. Instead, he pulls out some rubbery-looking ones. “I just hope that these don’t get ruined.”

My dad hands the tongs to me, along with the opportunity to cook with him.

My dad brings out the big glass bowl full of the sticky dough and sets it atop the oven. He gets a glass plate as well and sets it on the oven, too. He sprinkles flour on it.

After I line the big container with flour - the shiny, possibly tin foil, one that my mom and dad used to cook the Christmas ham  - I take the tongs, watching in fascination as my dad uncovers the bowl and takes a tiny piece from the settling dough.

He stretches it out, but not before plopping it onto the flour-dashed plate. He then takes both hands, places them near the top of the stretched dough piece, and quickly lays it over the oil and jerks his hands back. He will repeat these actions many times.

He doesn’t want the oil to burn him, of course.

“Flip them when they stop bubbling,” my dad informs me kindly. “Okay,” I respond back, setting the tongs down on the unneeded, extra paper towel lining of the tin foil container.

I shift my gaze to the oven’s digital clock with glowing green numbers. After a while, I notice that the bubbles have slowed and have almost stopped.

I flip the first frybread, but the side that’s now facing up isn’t tan like it’s supposed to be!

“Dad -”

“The first frybread pieces usually don’t have color,” my dad interrupts my worries, extinguishing them with this information.

“Oh, okay,” I answer.

“Ow!” I suddenly wince in pain. I was burned by the oil! I speed-rub my sore, reddening wrist, hoping that my dad didn’t see. But with the smile that threatens to form on his lips, I know that he’s probably trying not to laugh.

I keep flipping different pieces until, one by one, the tin foil-y container is filled up. That’s also when - what a coincidence - we run out of dough.

“Hey, Dad,” I say as he puts his arm around me. “I’m going to write about this to Teen Ink. If and when I get in, that’s when people will know about your ‘famous’ indian tacos.”

I hold up my new birthday wine glass - that I won’t be putting wine in - that is filled with sparkling apple cider, and my dad holds the big container full of frybread. He is right next to me, and we pose as my mom takes a picture.

This is a true story, and it means a lot to me. I love to write, and sharing my culture would be a success for me, because most people probably might not know very much about Native Americans. This would be an excellent piece of writing for them to read if they're interested in hearing other cultures' stories and experiences.