Middle Child | Teen Ink

Middle Child

March 28, 2019
By Hschwartz123 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Hschwartz123 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

On January 23, 2019, Jermaine Cole, known as J.Cole, released a song produced by Dreamville Records, “Middle Child”. This song had opened at #26 on Billboard's Hot 100 and had only continued to grow in popularity over time. In only a week since the release of the song, the single has risen to become the number one song on Spotify’s daily top 200 chart for six straight days, and the song has been streamed over 18 million times. On Apple Music, “Middle Child”, had grown to become the number one spot on Apple Music’s Top 100 chart. After originally signing with Roc Nation and producing his debut mixtape, “The Come up”, which was released in 2007, he has grown to become one of the most iconic lyricists of the generation. Jermaine has received 21 music award nominations including seven Grammy nominations, six billboard music nominations, and eight BET award nominations. His third album, released on December 9, 2014, 2014 Forest Hill Drive, arguably is his best album to date. Jermaine successfully produced a double platinum album with no features. No other artist had successfully been able to achieve this feat since 1989, when Vanilla Ice did it with his album, To the Extreme, which featured the song, “Ice Ice Baby”. As J.Cole raps in one of his verses on, “Middle Child”, he says, “I'm dead in the middle of two generations, I'm little bro and big bro all at once.” (Cole Verse 2) Thus, implying that J.Cole has only scratched the surface of his potential while already solidifying himself as one of the best rappers to ever exist. From a local rapper who lived in the suburbs of Fayetteville, North Carolina, to being one of the most notoriously known artist of the 21st century, J.Cole continues to ascend rap culture. “Middle Child” is sure to bring about a new strong start to 2019 for J.Cole, and fans are eager to see what he produces in the future.