Heart for Bahamas | Teen Ink

Heart for Bahamas

By brookesockwell BRONZE, Austin, Texas
brookesockwell BRONZE, Austin, Texas

My mind blocked out the noise of the honking van, for I was too focused on the watery eyes before me. I knew our time together had come to an end and even at two years old, he was realizing it too. His face looked distressed just like on the day we met, but I knew it was not for the same reason. The relationship that was built in just a week was now creating one of the hardest goodbyes because Victor’s precious smile captured my heart in the Bahamas.

On the very first day of being in the tropical islands, my mission team was given the opportunity to spend the day on the breathtaking shores with children from the community we served. As our team anxiously waited for the kids to arrive, I couldn’t stand still from the excitement of meeting them. It barely took me any time to spot the waddling baby in a green, raggedy Ninja Turtle T-shirt once the kids unloaded the bus. He finally landed on the edge of a wooden platform that looked out over the beach. I will never forget how frightened his chubby cheeked face was when he observed all the people running in the sand or salt water. I attempted to say hi but he was too overwhelmed to speak, and just ended up sitting in my lap. Throughout our four hours together, the only sound he made was a faint laugh when one of my friends tickled him. We spent the day observing others from that platform with only a break for a nap. His face remained serious the entire time but I loved getting to take care of him. It wasn’t until the kids had to go back to the community that I learned his name was Victor.

Now it was the last day and he stood there with the same concerned face, but this time it was because I was leaving. A few hours earlier, I had found him at his shack waiting in the same spot he always did for me. I cherished the last day and my heart was filled watching how much our relationship had grown throughout the week. We went from just sitting in silence to laughing to playing catch. Victor’s trust was the sweetest honor to experience because by the end of the week he was talking and interacting with me, which was surprising for his reserved nature. My heart was captured by Victor’s precious smile and I couldn’t be more joyous to have spent those memorable moments with him.

Recently, I've had the opportunity to travel to the Bahamas for a mission trip and serve a community near the beach. One of our tasks was getting to spend time with some of the local kids and my heart was captured by a two year old named Victor. Our relationship grew throughout the week and he trusted me with each day we spent together. It was such a heartwarming experience and I want to share the love with everyone.