The keychain | Teen Ink

The keychain

I see the world getting smaller, treetops merging together as we fly higher into the atmosphere. The sound of a baby crying echoes through the back of the plane, only to be followed by a subtle hush from its mother. I look at my phone to check the time. Eight o'clock in the morning. Most people would be lively by this time, but that’s far from the case with my sisters. As I get yelled at for having the window open, I stare off into the sea of clouds, watching them fade from shape to shape until they slowly disappear like a footprint in the sand. My eyes shift down to the keychain I got in Florida and the memories flood my mind. 

As the luminous yellow sun rises above the clouds, my family and I head out for the still water awaiting us at the beach. We walk on the sand as if walking on eggshells, trying not to sink with every step. Upon nearing the water, a cool breeze catches my hair and whips it around. Everyone laughs as I attempt to keep it out of my face. It is moments like these that make for the best memories. Seeing the faces of my family members light up with pure enjoyment gives me a warm feeling inside. I smile and watch the waves start to pick up as they crash against the tide. Each one carrying my worries along with it.

I gaze across the white sand towards the neverending water. Bronzed figures cover the beach as they lather more tanning lotion onto their skin. My family and I make our way towards the shore, watching out for little kids going through cycles of being covered in sand to having it all wash away in the saltwater. Oh, what an adventure it was being that young and carefree. My thoughts get interrupted by the feeling of a hand on my shoulder: my father’s. He has always looked out for me and my sisters and wanted to make sure we didn’t forget to apply sunblock. It is the little actions my parents do that really have an impact on my life. Not a single cloud stands in the way of the fierce sun as it sends its rays down onto my skin. 

This is what summer vacation should always feel like. Not only is it time for relaxing, but moments like these bring families together. My two oldest sisters moved out of the house so it is very rare for us all to be spending quality time together. I look around from person to person. Everyone grins from ear to ear and I can’t help but smile back. Genuine happiness. A thing that is hard to find these days so when you spot it, hold on to that feeling and never let it go. 

By the end of the day, the Floridian sun was balmy against my skin, breaking through the barrier of sunscreen I had applied earlier. Feeling a little too hot, I decided to tie my dark brown hair into a messy bun and head inside. I pass the mirror on my way in and get a glimpse of myself. What used to be a pale complexion now looks more like a rosy pink outline of a bathing suit. Laughing, I make my way into my sister’s room to show off my new look.

There’s this kind of bond that you create with your family that no other being has the power to understand. No, life does not demand a vacation to spend time with loved ones but what it did do is give me the power to build new relationships with every family member. Florida is such a stunning place and makes for the perfect getaway. 

As the final night of my family’s vacation nears an end, we pack up our belongings and head out for the airport. With my sisters arguing in the car I can tell it won’t be the best flight, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying my time away from home. We board the plane and I fill with excitement as I see a window seat with my ticket number on it. Although my siblings are their usual selves, I think back to the amazing time I got to spend with my favorite people.